Sales person for small roaster - How do I pay them?

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
Back in July I opened a small roasting business with 2 other people and everything has been going really well. We have built a very good reputation and have a growing group of loyal customers and have been gaining ground in the local retail businesses. We are also about to open a small cafe in the next 2 weeks, so things are coming along. 2 of us are part time working on the business and 1 of us is fulltime. As the business is growing, we are finding the full time owner is very busy and doesn't have time to handle the items he initially was covering which includes sales leads, orders and follow ups. I have 2 people interested in taking on some part time sales for us, but I do not know how to create a pay structure that makes sense for us and them. I assume some commission in the structure but I really have no background in this area. Anyone out there doing something similar that could give me some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Flatron

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't you hire this person on a per-hours basis, under the company name (since this is a moral person)?
Not sure how things work in your country.

And how are you all proceeding for the moment?
Taking owner's share and not registering yourselves as employees, I presume?

On a different note and out of curiosity, I'm surprised that you could open another business so fast - considering you opened the roasting one just few months ago.
Is it going that well that banks are ready to back you up, and/or did you have additional capital to invest?
Kudos in any case :coffee:

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
Wouldn't you hire this person on a per-hours basis, under the company name (since this is a moral person)?
Not sure how things work in your country.

And how are you all proceeding for the moment?
Taking owner's share and not registering yourselves as employees, I presume?

On a different note and out of curiosity, I'm surprised that you could open another business so fast - considering you opened the roasting one just few months ago.
Is it going that well that banks are ready to back you up, and/or did you have additional capital to invest?
Kudos in any case :coffee:

Yes, per hour base salary but I was also thinking a commission also for some incentive. I'm just not sure how to structure the commission. For instance maybe a percentage of sales from a new account for 3 months or maybe the first 10 orders. Something along those lines.

Yes, no employees yet. Owners taking a draw.

The cafe is very small and we have been able to provide the additional investment needed ourselves. We are also fortunate the building owner wants a cafe there also, so he has been working with us to keep costs down. Our bigger problem coming up is I think we will need a larger roaster very soon.