Class Import/Export Project

BryanP

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I've roasted my own coffee for years and have frequently stalked the forums for information. I have to admit I'm a big of a stalker on message boards, in that I rarely ever post to them, despite spending countless hours reading through them, hence just having created a login after spending a lot of time on the site.

Anyways, I'm taking a business class over the "j-term". On top of needing to spend a significant amount of time on the usual class stuff and studying, we were assigned a project to either import or export a product of our choice and develop a business plan for that product. Due to my love of coffee it seemed like a natural choice for me to use coffee beans as my product. Knowing the complexities of roasting and the type of facility, equipment, permits, packaging etc required for selling your own roasted beans, I decided I would take the "Easy" way out (at least from a research perspective) and sell green beans.

I have gotten quotes from several several suppliers, ocean freight quotes, trucking quotes, loan terms, and warehouse quotes. However, there is still a ton of information I don't have and I am having trouble getting and would really appreciate any information people can share about experiences with either importing beans or selling wholesale beans.

For instance, my one big question is, how would one ship large bags of beans? (15 or 25lb bags). Is there a cost effective service for sending out orders of 1-2 bags at a time? Or is the price too much and you either need to ship in small bags to consumers (1-2.5 lbs) or ship wholesale through trucking?

Also, do you need permits or inspections to sell green beans? nutritional labels? I know a little bit about what is required for selling roasted beans, but I can't really find any information about selling unroasted beans.

I've never been so stressed over anything for work or a college class like this project. I frankly find it absurd, especially in that we only have 3 weeks for the project, most of us have real jobs, and the professor expects it to be a realistic plan with tons of documentation. Any help would be sooo greatly appreciated.

-Bryan

IntuitiveImports

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Bryan,

your class project sounds like it would be something that would answer a lot of the questions that I have!

I've recently been contacted by a producer in Indonesia who wants to import full containers of un-roasted beans into the U.S. but I don't have much of an idea where to start.

I have some experience with export of equipment but none with import of ag products.

Anyway, if you're willing to share the highlights of your research I would be most grateful. Maybe I could even bring you on as a consultant.

Thanks
Dan

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
It is much easier to import products into the US verses coffee. If you can change your assignment to something much simpler I would do so.

doddcoffee

Jun 30, 2014
Houston, Tx
Visit site
Hello Bryan,

Got to miss the good old times of college and the projects that come along with it. I would look into contacting this company Inter American Coffee (interamericancoffee.com/), sorry I can't post links yet. They may be helpful in giving you some of the information that is there on importing if you still need some. I believe they could also help you with what information you need to sell green beans. I have never received any nutritional information with green beans, so I do not think that is an issue.

As far as shipping 15-25 lbs of coffee at a time to customers. I would either go with Fed-Ex, UPS, or USPS. It is no different from shipping out a normal package if you are able to package the green beans correctly. We send out a shipment about every 6 weeks that is 60 lbs. We do it in two class c boxes from the post office. It is not all that much, typically only adding 50-75 cents per lb. Also keep in mind that once you start shipping, if you stick with the same company you will be able to get discounts on what the shipping is costing you.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project!