Coffee Fest St Louis

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Anyone going to the Coffee Fest in St Louis? It will be on May 30 - June 1st. Pending the hubby's schedule I think I would really like to go. I saw on the website that they now have a Freshman Class Orientation for first time attendees, so I'd be signing up for that if I end up going since it will be my first time.

For the Coffee Fest veterans out there, do you have any tips for first time attendees?

Thanks in advance!
Angela

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Angela,
I have not attended one, but had the same thought about the New York event in March. Does the Coffee Fest venue offer value to a newly established roaster? Enough to justify the expense and time to attend?

Sorry to pile on Angela.

Freeman

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I attended a few years ago. Not sure if it is the same now. I found them small and geared more towards people just getting into the business. I didn't find anything new compared to the SCAA show. If you are to attend one show a year that is the one to attend. If someone has attended a more recent coffeefest and found it beneficial please chime in.
The SCAA Event | Main

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have attended few of them last year and I would suspect they are all about the same.
These days, there are more geared towards Home Espresso machine and more product to and classes toward educating the public.
There are many great tips and information you will get out of these shows but for a experienced coffee shop owners, it is very repetitive process.

I will be attending few more this year but I don't think I will be attending one in New Orleans.

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I attended the last two years of Coffeefest in Chicago and found them both helpful. I live close enough to make it a day trip to Chicago, I have to think about the extra distance to St. Louise. I did a couple seminars that were of particular interest but personally found the best value for me the time that I could talk to customer reps in the areas that I was interested in. Just having the face to face and being able to ask questions and compare things rather quickly was of great value. I picked up some samples of things that I had not considered and that was good as well.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Although I have not attended any but I believe that you have a lot of things you can gain especially if you are in the coffee industry. Of course you meet the growers and possibly a tour to plantations and some coffee roaster. Fest like this is sharing the love and passion for coffee.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I'm confused. How are you going to tour a plantation in St Louis? From what I remember from coffee fest it was usually people selling coffee, biscotti, drink mixes such as chai and equipment for coffee shops. I never saw a grower at coffee fest. If you are new to the biz and it isn't a far trip it might be worth it. To me SCAA show is where it's at.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I attended a few years ago. Not sure if it is the same now. I found them small and geared more towards people just getting into the business. I didn't find anything new compared to the SCAA show. If you are to attend one show a year that is the one to attend. If someone has attended a more recent coffeefest and found it beneficial please chime in.
The SCAA Event | Main

Thanks, Topher. Good info. I'm not in business yet. I want to check out a Coffee Fest first, then SCAA later on.

Hey Tazzadiluna, if you go to St. Louis make sure to make it by sump coffee you will not be dissapointed...

Hey BurntBeans. Thanks, I will make a note of that.

I attended the last two years of Coffeefest in Chicago and found them both helpful. I live close enough to make it a day trip to Chicago, I have to think about the extra distance to St. Louise. I did a couple seminars that were of particular interest but personally found the best value for me the time that I could talk to customer reps in the areas that I was interested in. Just having the face to face and being able to ask questions and compare things rather quickly was of great value. I picked up some samples of things that I had not considered and that was good as well.

I've never been to any organized coffee anything, so I think going to one would be helpful for me as well.

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Good info...I was thinking of attending as well. I may wait for the one in Portland.....I've never been there and I hear it's a cool place to visit! I would love to hear some nuggets/take aways if anyone attends the one in NY.