Your requirements for Barista's Hair

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Hi everyone! Newbie here excited to find these forums! I've been browsing trying to find some answers to questions I've been thinking about. Found the Uniform forum post, but it was mostly directed at dress. I'm wondering what everyone requires for their employee's hair, if anything. I know loose hairs in food and drinks are gross so I'd really like to have some kind of regulation, but also trying to think of a nicer looking option than the traditional ball cap. I was looking at hair styles with nice looking scarves wrapped around the head and wondered if that actually helps flyaways at all of it that is just for looks. Anyone willing to share what they require? Esp wondering what to do if we get an employee with shorter hair that's hard to put back. Do you just let them pin it back as best you can or do you not even worry about it. Have you had any customer complaints in this area? Thanks for any advice/ideas/experience! :smile:

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Do-rags...

Kidding.

Typically baristas only serve drinks and handle pre-prepped food so they have minimal risk. If you also have them prep/make the stuff you serve, then your local food prep regs will apply to them, usually a hair net.

Up until a few years ago some cities required bartenders and baristas to wear hair nets. So I think you should check with your state/city's health department about specific regs you must follow at a minimum just to make sure.

Beyond that, it's up to YOU how much you want to exceed those regs. If you do that make sure you put it in writing, enforce it, and have your employees sign that they understand your own personal regs. That way if they don't follow your rules, you can let them go and they can't get back at you with the "I'm being discriminated" complaint.

Angela

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Thanks guys for the laughs and the advice. :coffee: I guess my question was kind of silly. I shouldn't chat on here late at night or I ramble! Haha! Good to know about writing what we decide down so there is no trouble in the future. Great to be able to read Starbucks requirements as well! We are trying to stay away from the Starbucks look, but it does help to read how they word things and the hair requirements. I know hair isn't the biggest issue in starting a coffee shop, was just bugging me and wondered if there were ideas I hadn't thought of out there. My husband is still thinking about setting it up big enough to make a few baked items as he loves to create and bake as well. So we may have to go the hairnet route anyways if we do. All still in the fun early planning stages of it all. Thanks guys!