should I be a micro-roaster?

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Oh, you all are so helpful to those of us who are trying to get started up. THANKS!

Am trying to settle on a model for a coffee shop. I can see that profits could be boosted nicely with roasting. Question: to those who do this, is it feasible to be a coffee shop AND a roaster? Is it worth the investment of the roasting equipment? Don't want to sell on the internet, just local. Does it take a long time to learn the skill?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ellie

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
If you are thinking of doing it go for it! I am a small and growing internet based roaster and green bean retailer and wholesaler. The roasting part of my business is what I truly love to do. It isn't too hard to learn how either. If you want to try why not try some home roasting? Here is a simple tutorial on how to with a hot air popcorn popper. http://www.ourcoffeebarn.com/home_roasting_tips.htm It is a very simple proccess.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I'm with Pete, but do your research. Roasting is an art and it takes time to really do it well. I'm still a beginner, but managed to spend my time and money well, so I can roast a pretty good batch of coffee. Of course, even my coffee is a far cry better than the local grocery store offers!

I also have a really good contact who is a professional roaster with years of experience, so if I get in a jamb, he is a phone call away and that is a major blessing! You will need some guidance as you get into it.

One of the pro's is that you'll save money. Also, if you set up your roaster right, it will have a theater effect that will draw customers into your shop.

Good luck - keep us posted as you make your decisions.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I'm with the group on this one... it can be done, but you should focus on one or the other first, then add-on the second. You may want to also view THIS THREAD that discusses some of the details.