Exclusivity as a Long-Term Marketing Strategy

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
In my latest column for Specialty Coffee Retailer, HERE

I introduce one of the most important concepts for budding coffee shop owners and entrepreneurs to understand. It's not about a singular strategy, it's about understanding how to make the proper strategic decisions along the way to place your business in an unassailable position in your market.

I greatly appreciate those who take the time to read this article.

Thank You.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Eldub,

As soon as it loads it prompts a "click anywhere to zoom in" and then a bar with various text zooming sizes appears at the bottom if you need to make it immensely huge.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Thanks for the article, John. Your consistent focus on being excellent and not pursuing volume for the sake of volume has definately impacted the way I am trying to get into the coffee world. I'd also love to hear you get more specific and share some of your favorite examples from across the specialty coffee world where exclusivity is done well.

PS...I think I missed the article on choosing a roaster, could you post a link for it?

Last edited:

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Flipping through the pages of the magazine you wrote in, I stumbled across the article by Jack Groot on page 6-7, "Give People What They Want". John, I'd love to hear your response to his approach. I especially thought these two quotes were interesting:

"If you have fabulous coffee but you act like you have fabulous coffee, that's called arogance."
"If you put whipped cream on drinks you are not causing the downfall of the coffee industry."

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Redswing,

Thanks for the kind words.

Here's a link to the roaster piece. HERE

Thanks for the article, John. Your consistent focus on being excellent and not pursuing volume for the sake of volume has definately impacted the way I am trying to get into the coffee world. I'd also love to hear you get more specific and share some of your favorite examples from across the specialty coffee world where exclusivity is done well.

PS...I think I missed the article on choosing a roaster, could you post a link for it?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
John,
Great article and I love reading your post as well.
In this world, we have so many business just open for money but not really delivering their quality.
It is important to separate ourselves from them.

Thanks again.