Shipping Sacks (70kg) - Overland US

sal930

Jan 13, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm in the process of importing some specialty coffees and working through overland logistics. I was hoping some folks on this forum could recommend some companies in the mid-atlantic region that have experience shipping 70kg sacks of coffee. I'm looking for freight companies that could pick it up from the warehouse and take it straight to the buyer/roaster. It would probably be in 1,2 or 5 sack denominations. I assume I could reach out to UPS or some of these other big companies, but wasn't sure if there were smaller companies that specialize in this.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
one bag or 2 bags going to be pretty expensive but if you get into 4-5 bags, thats when prices actually makes sense.
For example: one bag could cost around 100 dollars to ship which doesn't make any sense but 5 bags can cost around $200 which now shipping cost just became very little per pound.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Trust me I know...I bring in 75 bags a month. I would rather bring in a container every 6 months and only pay for shipping once. One 6 month delivery is about $100 more than what I pay monthly. My problem is space. Hopefully I can build a bigger roastery in the near future.

sal930

Jan 13, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice. I was thinking that 1 or 2 bag shipments might be expensive and I suppose I could arrange to handle the deliveries myself in the beginning, but I wonder how these other importers are shipping 1/2 bag orders to roasters without eating into their entire margin?

I'll reach out to R&L and a few others and see what I come up with...

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I am not a monthly or real frequent user of shippers. But I can say I have had coffee and over sized equipment shipped to Ct.
from Texas, Colorado, and California. Palletized and dropped at loading dock.

Have used:
Freight Shipping, Freight Companies, Freight Quotes, Freight Shipping Rates - FreightCenter.com

Always got excellent prices. It is an online brokerage site. Not sure of inward working,
but seems to work something like the show Shipping Wars, where companies will give a set
price for your shipment. You will receive a number of quotes, some really varying. But they will
guarantee the price for a set time. Companies like RL Carriers will participate.
If you are not in a real hurry, prices will even get better, in my past experience.
Loading dock to loading dock-best prices.
I remember asking a broker here to get some prices for me one time, real costly.
So I used the freight center. He asked me about a month later on how I made out.
Told him the best price, and he said maybe you should work for me, he could not come close to
the price I got!

Latest posts