Is there anybody who has experience supplying distributors with roasted coffee.

FullCup

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Is there anybody who has experience supplying distributors with roasted coffee?
specialty like Guatemala, Sumatra as well as more commercial like a Brazilian blend both in bulk and packaged.
What type of margins are they looking to make what will they pay per pound? I'm sure there are variables to consider but general idea could be helpful.Is there any distirbutors here on the forum? I am on the east coast upstate New York.
Thank you

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Is there anybody who has experience supplying distributors with roasted coffee?
specialty like Guatemala, Sumatra as well as more commercial like a Brazilian blend both in bulk and packaged.
What type of margins are they looking to make what will they pay per pound? I'm sure there are variables to consider but general idea could be helpful.Is there any distirbutors here on the forum? I am on the east coast upstate New York.
Thank you

As a whole sale coffee company, you expect around 20-25 percent margin after the roasting. I know few companies sell roasted beans as low as 5 dollars per pound to 6.50 per on 5# bag. It depends on the type of beans. Of course single origin can be little more expensive.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We sell organic, single origin beans for around $9-$10 to wholesale accounts. That number represents aprox. 65% of what we consider "retail value" of our offerings.

FullCup

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.
Is there anyone who has supplied distributors and the distributor supplies a grocery store or coffee shop?
What profit does the distributor need to make?

Just an example.
I the coffee roaster sell to a distributor for $6 a pound distributor sells (wholesales) to grocer store or coffee shop for $9 a pound.
The distributors Mark up is 50%, gross margin is 33%, profit is $3.

Is there a rule off thumb how much they want there margins and profit to be?
Thank You
Tony

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
We sell organic, single origin beans for around $9-$10 to wholesale accounts. That number represents aprox. 65% of what we consider "retail value" of our offerings.

There are no rule of thumb on this but it really depends on the what you are buying.
Let me know what you are trying to do here in details.
maybe I can direct you to the right roasters or company to help your need.
BTW, I know many larger roasters who can afford to sell cheaper then most of the micro roasters.
Most of the micro roasters only can roast about 500-1000 pounds per week and if you are the bigger roasters who can roast around 5000-10000 pounds a week can normally sell 20-25 percent cheaper then micro roasters.

FullCup

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you coffee junky.
we roast specialty coffee, Sumatra, Guatemala, can roast others as well.
We would like to speak to distributors about selling our products. we supply The distributor and the distributor would sell to grocery stores, coffee shops or any place they can.

Is it ok to PM you?

Thank you
Tony