Need advice for buying first roaster

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi all -

This is my first post to this forum. I have decided to start roasting coffee with the intent to sell it and in the future link the profits to an NGO in Central America.

I believe that I am in a growing market with a demand for quality coffee (US mid-atlantic state). I am planning to start small, roasting from home and trying to sell beans to friends and family until I figure it out. I'm realistically planning to have to continue working as a bartender to support this, until it (hopefully) becomes profitable.

My first question for you all is about roasters: I am scouring the internet for used roasters and have called many food service equipment distributors, and used roasters seem to be tough to find. From my research I feel it might be best to start with something like an AMBEX YM2, and upgrade later. I can afford this and am learning that small capacity might be better to start.

Next, what systems are you using to bag roasted coffee beans for sale? What do these machines cost? I have seen everything from hand pump vacuum bags for $25 to nitro flush systems for 5K. Whats reasonable to start out.

Thanks for your input!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I use a YM2K, and like it. If you need to upgrade, it'll only be because of capacity. You can churn out ~15#/hour. So if you roast 3 hours per day, how do you plan on selling 45# per day? Roasting is the easy part, having an avenue to sell it will be the challenge.

Bagging equipment might be a down-the-road decision. I can easily bag the coffee as the next batch is being roasted.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Hey Andy,

Sounds like you're doing a cool thing. Seems to me the YM-2 is a perfect choice for you.

As for bagging, all you need is to do some web searches to find a bag distributor and pick a bag from them that you like (I went through Pack Plus and bought foil lined kraft paper gusseted bags with valves and tin ties, 500 for around $150), and then get something to heat seal them with. I started with a clothes iron (which I would recommend, it feels pretty fun when you're just kickin it off), and have since upgraded to a simple handheld unit that was about $120. I also found an online store that I could design a stick on label through, and ordered 500 of those to when I first started off.

Keep us posted, and don't stop asking questions!

(other indespensible considerations would be a green bean supplier, a decent digital scale, and: ESPRESSO SUPPLY ESP03073 02-0050 Scoop Bean Scale Black. (Seriously, you need one of those)

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Andy, you said "I can afford this and am learning that small capacity might be better to start."

My experience, if you're serious about making this a business and not a hobby, is to buy bigger than you think you need.

We were going to buy a 5kg machine but since the 10kg wasn't that much more we (being newbies) bought that. What a surprise to learn that if you're just starting you don't have much in the way of sales and it is a while before you need to roast 10kg. So you roast a size big enough for the machine and then have coffee sitting around. Not a good thing. But within six months the 10kg was entirely justified. Now after 2 years every roast is 10kg and it is about time to start looking towards a 30kg machine (which, to be honest, kinda scares me).

But at least we didn't need to buy 5kg, then 10kg, then . . .

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks you very much for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Ambex in the recent past? I have had problems in the last few weeks getting in touch with them. The phone number on their website rings someone's cell phone, and they don't return emails. Is this a sign I should be looking elsewhere? I have read (on this forum) that the company may have changed hands recently??

Also - the YM5 and larger come with the data logging software package? Is this necessary to create consistent roasts? Or could this be added to the YM2 down the road?

Last edited:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Get in touch with Paul Ribich from Roaster Dynamics in Florida. He wrote the profiling system and he is somewhat connected to the real Ambex manufacturer. US Roaster Corp in OK usually has some refurbished roasters. As far as what size to buy, everyone will tell you to buy big but it all depends on your start up budget. If you purchased a 3/5 kg roaster to learn on and business goes viral then you go bigger, but if it fails then you do not have a lot invested and could get most of your money back. Besides having a spare roaster is always good if there is a malfunction on the main roaster.
Look for an 8" AMI heat sealer, they are around 100.00 new. North Atlantic Bags has two locations making easy for shipping. Their prices are really reasonable. Nordfab is a suggested vent pipe for the roaster. You will also have to decide on propane, natural gas or electric. If you purchased used make sure that you have the correct gas or things may go BOOM!
Good Luck!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
AndyP, Welcome to the forum. Have you done any roasting at all? Many commercial roasters started as a hobby or were
roasting for someone else. Seems also very many have a deep passion for great coffee. Before the purchase of a
commercial roaster, I would recommend roasting on different types as stated above(gas or electric, even hot air).
Learn the nuances of coffees as well as learning the machines. Roasting school would be a major plus.
Coffee Lab in Waterbury Vermont is a great place to learn from green coffee to finished product. I attended the school
in 06., 5 days intense education. I starting in 95 with a cast iron skillet to hot air modified poppers, electric roasters and
now use an Ambex10. I am still learning coffee. I am not trying to discourage you from your startup, but you may encounter
a number of hurdles along the way. Seems like you have a market, by your comments. But it took me a while to get up and going.
Local and state channels, regulations in your area for setting up a roasting facility, meeting all requirements. Also making your
business legit, this, to me is crucial for any business. Maybe you have considered all this. I hope so. If I could help in any way,
you could pm me. Be encouraged!

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in and encourage you to go for the smaller roaster. You'll hear over and over on this site to grow into a roaster rather than out of one. But in my experience, I have a 6 lb roaster, and am glad I don't have anything bigger. And I've been doing it for about a year. Especially if this is going to be something on the side. Much easier to roast smaller batches (roasting 1 lb in a 10 lb machine is not ideal, by any means), which you'll be doing. Selling it down the road won't be hard at all, and you'll probably get what you paid for it.
Food for thought.

Jenny

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi! AndtP, Do you know the roasting technology? I just wanted to encourage you to go for the small roaster, like 1 kg, in fact, 1 kg coffee roaster capacity is usually around 1.5 kg, don't need the used one or refurbished one. I think China coffee roaster machine is a consideration which is in good quality and affordable price. for starting small roastery is enough...... Good Luck!

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the info

JumpinJak - I have only been hands-on roasting for a few weeks on a cast iron skillet. The funny thing is that I have the business side of things figured out much better than the part where I will have to create quality coffee. I am looking into roasting schools, and possibly have 2 different established roasters who may be willing to show me the ropes. I expect to struggle when I start.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I see I've been overruled on my suggestion to buy bigger than you think you need. So I'll bow to that as it may be the best thing for you. For us we wanted to roast coffee as a business and we had to make it work. It wasn't a hobby or a part time 'grow into it' type of thing. We had to make the business work and pay the bills so we possibly had a different focus. If you're like us, where you've 'burned your ships', I'd still suggest considering bigger than smaller otherwise you may spend so much roasting coffee that you won't have much time to be out selling your coffee.

Best wishes, whichever way you choose to go.