Bulk grinder question for new roastery

zammie

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi first question in earnest and my apologies if it has been asked. I couldn't find what I needed via the search function.

So I am starting a micro-roastery and considering some bulk grinders. I have been looking at the Mahlkoenig Kenia and Guat, are there any others that might work for a small set up? Do I need one or two to cover the range of grind sizes? My idea of bulk grinders is they are noted for a high output and robust build, as well as good performance across the range. Am I right on that last point?

Lastly, slightly off topic, but can anyone comment on why most bulk grinders seem to be flat burr grinders?

Cheers,

Dizzy

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Hi Dizzy,

When you say bulk grinder how much you talking about? I use a Modern Process Equipment grinder that brings up to 800 pounds per hour.

They make machines that do 200 - 20,000 pounds per hour

Commercial and Industrial Coffee Grinders | MPE

Even with that big machine it is not used much. Most of our customers want beans.

If you looking for small the Mahlkoenig Kenia and Guat are great machines but are not really bulk grinders. If you want something a little less $$ then maybe a Bunn.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like you just need a grinder for the occasional customer that does not grind their own beans or maybe if you sell over the internet and people want to order beans already ground...?... If so do you want a grinder that customers can use while in your retail store or will you grind all the product for them. The commercial Bunn or Grindmasters work great. But if you are doing all the grinding a Fetco works great. I like the kinds with 2 hoppers that each hold 5 lbs. and you can choose grind time & type of grind. I just got a real nice used one from a repair company for $200... New they are close to $1500.

zammie

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was losing hope in getting a response here!

Sounds like you just need a grinder for the occasional customer that does not grind their own beans or maybe if you sell over the internet and people want to order beans already ground...?... If so do you want a grinder that customers can use while in your retail store or will you grind all the product for them. The commercial Bunn or Grindmasters work great. But if you are doing all the grinding a Fetco works great. I like the kinds with 2 hoppers that each hold 5 lbs. and you can choose grind time & type of grind. I just got a real nice used one from a repair company for $200... New they are close to $1500.

This hits the nail on the head. Initial quantities are likely to be small (150-300lbs) but I want to do justice to the beans and for the customer. I am not really comfortable making do with a Vario or SJ. The Mahlkoenigs are available here but not the Fetco, Bunn or Grindmaster.

Are the Mahlkoenigs able to do double duty for espresso as well as french press?

zammie

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
According to Mahlkonig USA the Kenia is a "best buy"; and you can use it for cupping coffee. Same burrs as the Guatemala Lab.

Thanks for the tip Hankua.

Hi Slurp, do you reckon the EK-43 will be more suitable than the Kenia or Guat for my purposes?