Mug Shot

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
All,
What attributes do you look for in a good coffee mug? I am planning to purchase some branded mugs, and I know what I like. What are your preferences, and what is the logic behind the design of a good mug? I still have the heavy, thick mugs we used to get in the Navy with our names and squadron logo on it. Great to look at, but horrible to drink out of because they suck the heat right out of the coffee! So I think the thickness and perhaps material of the rim is important. Grateful for any thoughts you may have.

Freeman

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I like the ceramic (not the metal) "camp mugs." They are sturdy, and not easily knocked over (on a desk, for example). They have a little lip at the rim that help stop coffee dribbles from ending up on your shirt. If you run warm water in the mug to warm it up before filling it with hot coffee, the coffee stays warm much longer than it does with other mugs.

I couldn't find the exact photo, but I found one that's close. The mug in the photo isn't ceramic, but it gives you a general idea. I've seen places on line that sell the ceramic camp mugs in a variety of colors, and you can get logo printing too.

The base is as wide at the height, which makes it less likely to be accidently knocked over - and speaking from experience, it's a lifesaver!

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Ounce...oor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1406125062&sr=1-14

Rose

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
for me, i need following "specifications"
Ceramic (like PRose)
big bottom, so it does not knock off easily (like PRose)
again, thin lip to stop coffee dribbles (like PR)

plus
big enough to hold min 12 oz to 16 oz
white ceramic in & out. (if the inside mug color is dark, big difficult to see the "coffee color" (depends on bean roast or bean type) and it just seems... hard to smell the coffee aroma)
Some "inspirational logo or words" on the outside of the mug, of course, related to coffee or my work (which is coffee business)
Strong and round handle, pointy ones are hardly to grab firmly while you are working.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
If this is for a coffee business, like a cafe or a shop, I'd lean toward something like a travel mug because people like the utility of that, and you may set up a refill incentive at a lower price and drive customers to returning.

Price might also be a consideration; I like the double-wall Bodum mugs for at home, but they're a tad fragile, and might be too costly for a business to offer.

So a travel mug would most likely be stainless, and how easy it is to drink from would be critical. We've all seen travel mugs that were hard to get a dribble-free sip, and have enough flow that we could get a good gulp. For me, regardless of the material, a very important feature is the handle. Some are w/o handles, but I like them better with; and I like the open-bottomed handles rather than the usual "D" handles, as they let me use the mug while wearing gloves.

Good luck on your search Bardo.

Being the skeptical person I am, I kinda wonder about the actual real-world merits of a branded mug, and their return on investment. I feel good when I get a free mug, but that's about it.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Peter,
The question is of ROI is always there. In my case I am trying to build a brand identity in a market that includes a lot of folks who work in offices, and who might well use the mug all day at work if they like it. What is the return? Probably not much beyond spreading my fetching logo aroud a little and possibly sparking some talk around the coffee pot about freshly roasted coffee. Call it a vanity project. Next stop golf tees and stress balls!

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't go by me but my cup has to be glass or else I'll be lead testing it and I'd rather not. And it can't be wide because my pour over cone won't work with wide cups. I also avoid textured cups because they're harder to clean. And they should be about 14-16 oz. because 8 oz. of anything usually isn't enough for me. I guess I'd settle for 12 oz.

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I prefer ceramic. Glass is expensive, and everything else effects flavor, but I'm not very fond of the ceramic coated camping utensils, canning pots, and inexpensive cook ware. The ceramic inevitably flakes off and the mild steel underneath begins to rust.
For some reason folks acquired the idea that a coffee mug with a narrowed and/or rounded bottom is stylish. It's also a lot easier to tip over. The top needs to be at least wide enough for me to easily clean, around 3", and I want the bottom to be at least full width. I prefer thicker heavier mugs. They don't break as easy and I find that they insulate better than thin ones. I once had a ceramic mug so thin you could see light through it. It didn't insulate worth a dang.
The handle needs to remain shorter than the mug, but I need to be able to fit at least two fingers through the handle comfortably, not squished together or wedged against the side of the mug. Three would be better, and four starts pushing the handle length.
I like my mugs to be on the smaller end of the normal volume size around 12 fl. oz. or so. Much less and fill ups seem too frequent. Much more and the coffee goes cold before I can finish it. When I see those people with giant mugs telling me how much they like coffee, all I can think is that they must be talking about how much they like cold coffee.
I prefer white mugs, because it's easy to tell if it's clean, but it's also easier to tell if its dirty. So if the folks you give the mugs to don't clean them, everyone who sees them will associate your logo with grungy coffee mugs. Those brown coffee mugs you see in the greasy spoon diners are just about impossible to distinguish dirty from clean, clean or dirty...

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I once had a ceramic mug so thin you could see light through it.
It might have been milk glass. I read they used to make it with lead so I avoid milk glass. Who knows what they still do in China.

I prefer white mugs, because it's easy to tell if it's clean, but it's also easier to tell if its dirty.
Bleach works great. Just don't mix it with dish soap.