Shipping

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
What have you found to be the most cost efficient method of shipping coffee to customers? Last time I used a flat rate shipping box to send two bags, but the cost was really high. Do you purchase boxes sized for your coffee bags? Guidance gratefully accepted.

Freeman

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
That's a sore spot for me... the cheapest way (I believe is USPS Parcel Post) but it's too slow if you're concerned about getting coffee to a customer, and I don't think you can print labels online, which means a trip to the post office.

I use padded flat-rate envelopes for 1.5# and less, Regional A boxes for up to 3#, and Regional B boxes for up to 6#. The Regional A and B boxes base their rates on distance, so it can be cheaper, but if it's across several states plain old Medium FRB's are cheaper. I have one customer who always orders 8# and that requires a Large FRB. At some weight point UPS and FedEx become competitve, but I don't where that point is.

My website is set up with a $5.95 fee, and free shipping over $75. I lose money on shipping on most orders, but have my coffee prices set to absorb some of that, along with the credit card/paypal fees, etc.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Thanks, Peter. That is very helpful. I am setting up the paypal and credit accounts soon, and will have to consider my pricing for on-line sales carefully. I now have customers in MI, VA, ME and IL! That is one customer in each of those states. But it's a start!

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
You can call UPS and FEDEX and ask for a better rate. FedEx gave us a 75% discount just for asking. Call the shippers and ask for better rates and you will more than likely get a discount.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I used a padded first class envelope today to ship two bags (12 oz each). Cost was $5.75 to ship about 100 miles. Not too bad.

Can you purchase and print the label for that at home, or did you go to a post office?

Padded Flat-Rate Envelopes are $5.70, can hold 2# if I cram, aren't distance-restricted, and labels can be purchased/printed at home.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Shipping coffee seems to be the Achilles' heel for small shop roasters. We all feel the pain.
If I print my labels through PayPal shipping, I pay $5.05 for padded flat-rate envelopes. They are best suited for 2- 12oz. bags.
I too have crammed 2lb. before, but applied extra tape to ease my mind. You do know that in transit, they make pretty good
footballs for the handlers! I just shipped 6lb.(3-2lb. bags from CT. to Southern Cal. $11.30 Medium flat-rate box.
Which I use quite a bit. Peter has struck my curiosity though regarding regional boxes. I will have to look into that. Thanks Peter.

Was also wondering if Slurp might respond again about the discounts via Fedex and UPS.
Is Peter right about the volume shipped for the said discounts?
I am thinking about selling 2 or 3 lb. increments of green coffee through Ebay.
Seems I have been selling enough to homeroasters.
So may get enough volume. Love those padded FR envelopes. Price is right too!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Today, I sent 3# in a Regional A box to MA, for $7.55, so they are a good option. A downside is that paypal doesn't give you the option for Regional boxes. I don't recall how much the A box is to the west coast, but it's still less than a medium FRB is.

Some of this discussion will hinge on what packaging we use. I use foil valved zip stand-up pouches, but know a roaster who uses the side-gusseted bags, and they pack more efficiently.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have a daily pick up set with Fedex...I used to use UPS but Fedex was less expensive. To be honest the customer service is better as well. I ship out to 19 different locations. Beverly Hills is our furthest store) weekly. I pay about $1.70 a lb. to get them their coffee.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
I have a daily pick up set with Fedex...I used to use UPS but Fedex was less expensive. To be honest the customer service is better as well. I ship out to 19 different locations. Beverly Hills is our furthest store) weekly. I pay about $1.70 a lb. to get them their coffee.

That is about right. All you have to do is call and set up an account, you will receive a discount from Fedex and UPS.