A Moving Issue

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Friends,
Things are becoming real very quickly for Shellback Coffee Roasters! I think I will have a roaster in hand very soon, but as yet don't have the facility in which to place it. Sometimes opportunities come at inconvenient times, and a good guy is closing his roastery and if I can negotiate the purchase I will need to move the roaster, chaff removal system and ventilation ductwork out within a couple of weeks. My first question is how do you move a coffee roaster safely, and who can I get to do it? My first instinct is to palletize it and use a hand operated forklift to get it onto the lift gate of a box truck. Should I have a moving company do this? Obviously money will be an issue. It is a 10k roaster, weight I would guess at about 600 lbs? Any suggestions on who, how and how much you think it might cost would be greatly appreciated. I will need to store the roaster while I get the site in place. Thanks as always for your sage advice. I'm sure there will be some snark coming my way as well, so bring it on!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
point a to b how far? is the roaster on wheels? I moved my roaster with a landscape trailer. Securely wrapped up with moving blankets and straps. I also put mine of 5" total lock casters. Made life so much easier. Also depends on how easy it will be going into the new location

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Charlie,
I like the caster idea. It is not currently on casters so I would have to figure out how to do that. A to B it will be about 25 miles, almost all highway. I will store the roaster in my garage if it is not too high for the doorway. That has easy access via a paved driveway. How did you lift the roaster to install the casters? How sensitive to movement are these things? I know the drum needs to stay in balance...

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Unless the legs are welded on the roaster, there is usually a 1/2 threaded hole when the legs are removed. At least mine was. if you do not have this option, build a dolly that the roaster will fit flush on with some quality casters. This will at least make moving it around easier until it is in place. The ride will not upset the balance unless you fly over bumps and pot holes. When these are loaded from the company and shipped, the forklift drivers are not that delicate in handling. SES Casters has the best pricing and selection of all types of casters. I have used them for years and their products do hold up. They also sell from ebay.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am moving my roastery about 5 miles up the road. Cost to have a rigging company disassemble move and reassemble is $5,000. That's all my equipment roaster and afterburner...if it wasn't a 60k I would move it myself.