guidance needed for a Scottish newbie!

cadence51

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, my hubbie and I are looking to open our own cycling cafe here in Scotland, UK. I'm looking for advice on what sort of amount of seating you would suggest, what size premises, hoe many mugs do you buy to cover sit-in customers?
We're aiming at the student/young professional (slightly hipster) style coffee shop/bike shop/reading room.
Just need a basic idea of what I'll need before I start looking at premises. (In a university city)
Also, can any UK Shop owners give me an idea what is a reasonable amount to pay for coffee beans? I don't want to be ripped off because I'm a beginner! Lol

Any and all advice gratefully received

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "cadence51"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

What are you focusing on? Are you planning to open a cafe that has a bike shop next door, or will it be a bike shop that has a small cafe and sitting area for people who are waiting for repairs, etc. (assuming it's bicycles and not motorcycles).

Obviously, the size of the premises depends on what you're focusing on.

Is there a particular reason why you want to combine a coffee cafe with a bike shop?

cadence51

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Hiya,
Over here, there's a big upward movement in the numbers of people taking up cycling as a way of life, and ts well known most of them are mad coffee fans. There are similar establishments in other cities, and it seems to be a model that works.
The idea is to house a small workstation/workshop area for my other half to build and sell custom fixed gear cycles, with a standard sit down cafe for all bicycle enthusiasts/general customers. With some good books on travel/cycling/art for sale.