Need Information: Contract time and fee for renting out my roaster

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi All - Sorry if this has been discussed already. What would appropriate to charge as a "rental fee" for a small company to have use of your roaster for a few batches a week? Say they are roasting 20 kilos / week or something, and want to label it as their own. Is anybody renting out roaster time to others?

Last edited by a moderator:

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Andy - Just noticed that no one has replied, but if I were you I wouldn't lease out your roaster (assuming it is yours); instead I would toll roast for a fee. I say this because you don't know the experience the person you are leasing to has. Hope this helps.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Andy - Just noticed that no one has replied, but if I were you I wouldn't lease out your roaster (assuming it is yours); instead I would toll roast for a fee. I say this because you don't know the experience the person you are leasing to has. Hope this helps.

Andy,

I agree with nv305. You've probably invested a lot of money in your roaster. Do you really want to trust someone else to use it?

I hope you give this idea some more thought before jumping into anything.

You could just as easily strike a deal with the person, where he supplies the green beans, and you'll do the roasting for a certain fee. It would be much safer, and there would be no extra insurance liability, and you'd be in control of what goes on in your shop.

It's something to think about.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Many roasters will toll roast meaning the customer gives them the beans and the roaster roast the coffee. Toll roasting is normally done at a rate around $2 - $4 per pound depending on what needs to be done. You would have to be a pretty trusting to rent time on your roaster.

Now with that said as a businessman if you can make money why wouldn't you. If I was to rent time on my 15 kilo the rate would be $80 per hour. That would enable the person to roast 90 pounds "ish" per hour That is less than $1 per pound which is pretty cheap. That is them just throwing the beans back in the burlap and leaving, bagging would be extra.

Toll roasting is less risk and most of the time better for the customer.

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Slurp is right...personally I can't think of anyone who would let someone use their equipment. I personally think that $2 to $4 is a bit high for Toll roasting...Toll roasting is customer bringing product to the roastery and having it roasted. The customer then takes the coffee away. The only work the roaster does is roast the coffee. Where are you located? I might know someone in your area.