Question about "USDA Organic" label

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything so I'll start a new thread.

When I purchase green beans labeled USDA Organic, Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance etc, they will have already been through the certification process. When I roast and bag them will those certs carry over to my label and brand of coffee?

Because I buy organic beans can I sell them as organic beans?

Thanks!

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I am still in the planning stages, but will be using a very reputable supplier. I'm sure they can provide documentation that the beans are certified.

For someone packaging organic beans - Did you have to go through the USDA certification process? It makes sense to me that the farm has to do that or the supplier, not the roaster/packager.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I have only been asked by one person to prove the beans I had were truly organic. But to stay within organic guidelines you have to be separate from everything else non organic, as in two separate grinders. I watched a roaster several years ago bagging his beans and he was flushing with Nitro which wipes the organic factor out.
Claimed because he was using food grade nitro it was ok

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I believe your roasting facilities have to be certified as Organic, as you can't roast organic and non-organic beans in succession in the same roaster and label it certified USDA organic. AND you do have to pay a fee for every label you buy or you have to pay for certification of your facilities.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Andy: you can't label your beans organic unless you run a certified shop. Some folks DO falsely advertise as organic in the situation you outlined above, but the USDA has been clear with me that they will pursue those cases when a complaint is made by a certified producer.

As for requirements... One must obtain a cert manual from the usda and develop organic procedures based on the manual. (Chemical use, pest control program, product handling, labeling and packaging, etc are addressed) when you have your systems in place the usda or an affiliate will set up an inspection to insure compliance. The inspections cost money as well as the yearly certification.

Our entire shop is organic. Separate grinders and clearly marked containers are required to roast both organic and conventional. There is no charge for labels. Beans certified organic are to be packaged with the organic cert and the issuing body clearly stated on the label.

Last edited:

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the info. Do similar limitations apply for the fairtrade label as well as Rainforest alliance?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Fair trade is a lot easier. There is NO charge from fairtradeusa for tiny roasters like us. You must register with the organization, show them your labels and get certified by email. The individual fair trade labels for coffee bags are free as well as the certification process. Twice a year you are required to send in a report outlining the amount of fair trade certified beans you purchased. The fee per pound you are required to send in to the organization (if you ever reach that volume of business) is based on the amount of fair trade beans purchased.

Last edited:

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
I believe your roasting facilities have to be certified as Organic, as you can't roast organic and non-organic beans in succession in the same roaster and label it certified USDA organic. AND you do have to pay a fee for every label you buy or you have to pay for certification of your facilities.

This is correct. You have to pay a fee and show that the beans your getting are only process them in an organic way with no chemicals. Oh most important you have to pay a fee.

Did you know that most small farmers can not afford chemicals for their coffee plants and as well can not afford to pay for the organic cert.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
This is correct. You have to pay a fee and show that the beans your getting are only process them in an organic way with no chemicals. Oh most important you have to pay a fee.

Did you know that most small farmers can not afford chemicals for their coffee plants and as well can not afford to pay for the organic cert.

Did you also know that most folks developing countries can't afford to own or rent land to farm?