How many square feet do I need?

Maxwell

Oct 22, 2014
Dubai
Visit site
Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Maxime Simon,

It is my first time opening a coffee shop and I have a lot of question in mind,

I selected my equipment and know the design I want to have, however I am wondering about the space,
How much square feet do I need ?
I want to have a kitchen space with a griller/hot plate, fridges, a coffee machine , a coffee grinder, a juicer, a blender, a ice cream machine and two hot plate crepe machine, with a customers space involving 10 tables with chair and 4 tables with 8 sofas.
This is just an approximation but it is what I am going for.

I am looking forward to hear your point of you about the subject.

Thank you so much for your time,

Best regards,

Maxime Simon

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Maxime,

Is this set up typical for Dubai? It sounds like you have many ideas for one shop. Dubai has over 2 million people. There's enough to be a little more focused. No need to try to have something for all 2 million.

Coffee.
Ice Cream.
Blended drinks.
Grill .... possibly breakfast?
Crepes.

Or are you opening a restaurant/eatery that happens to serve coffee?

??? And seven hundred and fourteen (slightly exaggerating here) sofas.

Food has a higher COGS, takes more labor, and generally provides more waste.
If you are in a busy district, perhaps all these ideas can work. But from a cost and work flow perspective, don't try to do too many things. You may find it easier to be successful doing a little less.

Just a thought.

Maxwell

Oct 22, 2014
Dubai
Visit site
John P. Thank you for your point of view, my first idea was to build a creperie which after thinking budget I turn into a smaller business plan by trying to build up a coffee/breakfast creperie which would include a selection of various juices in a business located area.
However like I say it is my first time trying this, So Thank you for your advices.
Please don't hesitate to keep me in the loop if anything more practical or cost cutting comes to your mind.

Best regards,

Max

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Maxmime,

The way to look at is like this:

1) Have a definite specialty that you wish to build your coffee shop/cafe around. You can't have something for everyone. Do what you love, or know you can do best.

2) Decide whether you are food first or coffee first, the cost/labor is much different between the two and this will (should) affect how you write your menu and how you price your items.

3) Think about efficiency in your layout and cost of labor.

4) Design your menu first. Design your shop based on executing that menu efficiently.

And it's better to have too small of a space than too large of a space. But have the right space for you. Location. Size. Shape.

Best of luck!

smufoc

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Maxime Simon,

It is my first time opening a coffee shop and I have a lot of question in mind,

I selected my equipment and know the design I want to have, however I am wondering about the space,
How much square feet do I need ?
I want to have a kitchen space with a griller/hot plate, fridges, a coffee machine , a coffee grinder, a juicer, a blender, a ice cream machine and two hot plate crepe machine, with a customers space involving 10 tables with chair and 4 tables with 8 sofas.
This is just an approximation but it is what I am going for.

I am looking forward to hear your point of you about the subject.

Thank you so much for your time,

Best regards,

Maxime Simon
I think about ~2000 sq ft

Last edited: