City Roast vs Light Roast Opinion

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
A feedback was left as the following for coffee titled: Indonesia 1 lb City (light) Roasted Coffee Beans Robusta Indonesia:

"The coffee arrived promptly, in fact one day before the ETA, although the product was not shipped as listed. I ordered a light roast and instead received a City roast (Huge Difference.) While I'm unsure whether I would do business with this seller again, and the coffee itself is quite delicious, it is not what I ordered. I suppose I've learned my lesson about such generic salesmanship."

What are your thoughts on the person leaving the feedback vs the description of coffee being sold. Was it not proper to label city roast as light with parenthesis?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
ppb,

Although I do not agree with the quality of coffees you offer, I am impressed you are doinga City roast. Kudos! Most buying these types of coffees would be burning them beyond recognition. As for the review: The only line that matters is "... and the coffee itself is quite delicious."

A couple of things. 1) Customers are not roasting the coffee, you are. You should determine what roast is best for each coffee and include that in the description. Offering a choice of roast to the customers is ridiculous. It gives the perception that you do not understand your own craft.

I would guess this reviewer is just a whiner by nature. Improve what you do incrementally and move forward.

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering if it is a competitor or someone from marketing. The feedback read as if they were more interested in proper labeling. Perhaps if I labeled the coffee bag "City (light) Roast" as the selling title states, the bot wouldn't have left the 3 out of 5 star feedback. The reason I didn't put light on the label is to save on space for the lettering, so it was simply labeled "City Roast" on the bag. Another entity wrote me asking about shipping policy because the selling website I go through defaults cheapest shipping rate 5-8 day shipping, but I use 1-3 day shipping and specified it in the item description. Someone asked if the item would arrive within the 1-3 day period. I replied that it would and the entity thanked me and the return message was this, "ty, DAWN LEE HANAK | Account Representative"

Why is big business always trying to shut down the little guy?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
from what i can see, if the customer received a printable receipt, the description of the product did not match and neither did the shipping. There is a lot of bait and switch tactics online, not implying you, and to a lot of online consumers that is how it is looked at. I ordered something and in the description it said Priority Mail, the print out said flat rate shipping. It was shipped parcel post which took forever. Never purchased again. You are lucky your customer didn't contact their credit card company and file a complaint. JMO

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
from what i can see, if the customer received a printable receipt, the description of the product did not match and neither did the shipping. There is a lot of bait and switch tactics online, not implying you, and to a lot of online consumers that is how it is looked at. I ordered something and in the description it said Priority Mail, the print out said flat rate shipping. It was shipped parcel post which took forever. Never purchased again. You are lucky your customer didn't contact their credit card company and file a complaint. JMO

The invoice matched what he bought online. Everything was the same except it said City Roast on the package and the invoice says city (light) roast. Now I added (light) to the packaging for those that would be confused. Under my item description I go into a depth review of the product as the following (I put this descritpion under each city, full city, and dark roast listings):

[Title] Indonesian 12 oz City (light) Roasted Coffee Beans Robusta Indonesia

[Description]
Item is Fresh Roasted Coffee. Once item is paid for, your order will be roasted & shipped immediately.

City Roast Review: Unbrewed aroma is raw nutty smell. Taste has no fruit tones throughout any of the roasts. Light roast is the only roast that doesn't have the chocolatey tone. Woodsy taste is present w/ light smoothness, not too heavy. The aftertaste is light acidicness with a woodsy finish.

Full City Review: Unbrewed aroma is more of a nutty than a raw nutty aroma mixed w/ roasted coffee smell and a hint of earthiness. Taste is first you notice the bittersweet chocolate tones become present. Earthiness enters with a woodsy undertone that has more body and more smooth. Aftertaste is woodsy with a hint of chocolate and light earthiness.

Vienna Roast Review: Aroma is similar to the med roast which is nutty, roasted coffee, & earthiness with an addition of the typical dark roast aroma and a hint of jerky sweetness. The taste bitterness comes in first with the addition of stronger chocolatey tones. At this point, it is difficult to drink straight if not acquired a taste for which is why robustas are used as a 15-20% blend. Woodsy flavor is lowered even more passed an undertone. Also smoothness and more body have increased. Has an earthy aftertaste.

Overall Review: You always get that nice nutty aroma on any roast. The light roast can be drinkable straight if ok with strong woodsy taste. The darker you go, the more it brings out the chocolate tones. Its good to blend with a coffee that has a cocoa taste to it like Honduras Dolores Merendon because the chocolate tones from the Indonesian bean accent the cocoa from the other blended bean or if you just want to add a hint of chocolate or high caffeine.

Note: Light roast doesn't have any chocolate tones, but highest in caffeine. This is a robusta and may be overpowering for straight drinking depending on the roast level.

HillofBeans

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Besides the fact that people turn into 5 year olds when it comes to stuff they ingest, Darkness of coffee is important to people because some with sensitive stomachs are afraid that lighter roasts will be too acidic. Having said that, I agree that offering different roasts takes away from your craft. We should be offering our coffees roasted to their best as well as delivering what we promised (says the guy who just sent out 2 pounds of Whole Bean to a customer who checked the "auto-drip" box).