Roaster Exhaust: What do I need?

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone - I am in the process of starting a small roasting business. I have an Ambex YM5 arriving shortly, and am trying to plan how it will be vented. The manual says 2 exhausts, 4 and 5 inches: one for the drum and one for the cooling tray. Can I run the cooling tray exhaust directly out through the wall like a cloths dryer? It should not be TOO hot right? Also - of course norfab double wall stainless piping is recommended, but is expensive. Am I missing something here or can I use piping from an old woodstove or something like that to keep costs down. The manual does not say how much exhaust piping the roaster can handle. I have read online that 20 ft is what most roasters can do without additional booster fans. No afterburner, warehouse location, it does not have to look good, nobody will be bothered by smoke or fumes. I have yet to consult with a general contractor who I assume will have input as well. What do you think?

PS - this forum has been VERY helpful to me over the past few months.

Thank you!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Nordfab has pipe that is not insulated at a reasonable cost. I use that for my sample roaster and Selkirk Metalbestos for my shop roaster. Check with the Fire Dept/Plumbing inspector as to what they want. Type A or B is generally ok but they have the final say. If it is not done properly kiss your insurance claim good bye if anything happens. Gas or propane? propane cylinders cannot be kept indoors running any gas equipment. Any type of gas then your plumber will suggest an inexpensive but legal vent system that will pass the plumbing inspector