Ground Coffee, Fresh for how long?

cnemartinez238

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I know YOU HAVE TO BREW FRESH GROUNDS, ALL THE TIME, but what about the customers that dont care about grinding it themselves, or dont have a grinder? Do I just grind it up for them? I dont want them to think my coffee is junk because it was ground 2 days before they brewed anything. Should i just refuse to grind? Tell them to use a blender? (Thats what i used to do, works ok). I am just concerned about the quality of the cup that is brewed at home, because if the customers experience is not awesome, then they wont buy anymore, know what i mean? Now that I typed this out I think I am going to refuse to grind. Any opinions? Or facts if youve got them. Or experiences.

Thank you

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Depends on how you are posturing/presenting your roasting business.

When I meet someone new and the conversation turns to coffee, I'll ask if they enjoy a truly good cup of coffee. The answer is universally 'yes'. Then I'll ask if they own a grinder. If they say 'no' I'll assume the answer to the first question may have been true, but that they probably haven't had what you and I would consider a truly good cup of coffee. If they aren't willing to add grinding their own beans, I'll say to myself that they probably aren't the kind of customer I'm looking for. Not to be a snob... because some people are willing to agree that grinding before brewing is worth trying... but you have to choose what segment of coffee lovers you want to cater to.

If you feel grinding for them is diminishing your product because grinding just before brewing is ideal, then stick to your principles and don't lower your standards. I used to stock blade grinders and sold them for $12, and tell customers that if they purchase 3 lbs. of coffee they can have the grinder for free. I'd charge them for the grinder and then refund the $12 after the third lb., thinking by then I'd have them hooked. But that didn't always work either. Now I just figure if they won't invest $12 into a better cup of coffee, they can be happy drinking someone else' coffee. It sounds harsh, but I believe in my product and don't want to lower my standards just to make a sale.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Ok, I know YOU HAVE TO BREW FRESH GROUNDS, ALL THE TIME, but what about the customers that dont care about grinding it themselves, or dont have a grinder? Do I just grind it up for them? I dont want them to think my coffee is junk because it was ground 2 days before they brewed anything. Should i just refuse to grind? Tell them to use a blender? (Thats what i used to do, works ok). I am just concerned about the quality of the cup that is brewed at home, because if the customers experience is not awesome, then they wont buy anymore, know what i mean? Now that I typed this out I think I am going to refuse to grind. Any opinions? Or facts if youve got them. Or experiences.

Thank you

If you put yourself into the customer's shoes for a second . . . . . more than likely they haven't yet experienced totally great coffee, but they're in your shop looking for something that's better than what they've been used to (Folgers, supermarket coffee, etc.). If they don't have a grinder, but they're still looking for coffee that's better than what they're used to, even if you grind it for them, the coffee that they have at home is still going to be better than what they're used to.

Then, if you mention that the exact same coffee will be even more better if they grind it themselves before brewing, they'll be tempted because most people are in search for something better than what they have.

Enjoying and appreciating good coffee, especially when you make it at home, can be a gradual process. I've watched people go from being okay with Folgers, to buying pre-ground coffee from a roaster, to buying a grinder, and then to buying a better coffee brewer. It's a process.

Why try to force customers to get whole bean coffee right from the start? If they're not quite ready for that step, you're going to lose them as a customer, and they'll miss out on the opportunity to be gradually educated so they can really appreciate good coffee.

Let's admit it......grinding coffee at home can be a messy process. Lots of people don't want to bother using a grinder and cleaning up the little pieces of beans that end up all over the place. Pre-ground, good roasted coffee is the lesser alternative. But if it makes them happy, why turn away a potential customer because you don't want to be bothered to grind it for them?

When I go to my local roaster to buy whole beans, I watch people ordering the exact same beans and having it ground for them. The person grinding the beans doesn't try to convince them to get a grinder and do it themselves. They just smile and grind the coffee. They sell tons of roasted coffee, both whole bean and ground.

Why lose a customer just because you "think" they should have it your way???

I don't understand that logic, especially from a customer's point of view.

Rose

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Total agreement Rose! If I refused to grind the coffee I would lose customers. I tell people it is better to grind as you brew, but they do not want to be bothered. I like my steak medium rare, why would I make others eat the same way if I was a chef.

cnemartinez238

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Awesome responses, this helped alot. Now I need to chew on it for a little bit(aka run it by my wife). I agree with you peter, all the way, all the way... but Rose makes a good point, i would lose a customer(maybe). They would still be drinking something better than before, but it just wouldn't be all the way better, if that makes sense. But for some people a little better is good enough, I mean, most people are happy with tar, you know? Thanks for the replies!

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
How about putting a framed "Statement" on the wall:
We personally select, roast and blend some of the worlds finest coffees and work hard to deliver them to our customers in prime condition. Feel free to ask for tips on how to get the best from our beans.
If, like so many people you buy a pack to impress your friends at Christmas and use up the remains at Easter we hope you have a lovely time and your friends don't know what fresh coffee is like.