Coffee School

mcelem

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am new to this thread and I tried searching for an answer to my question but to no avail. I was just wondering if those coffee schools (like the American Barista & Coffee School in Portland, OR) are worth going to? My husband and I desperately want to open a coffee shop in the near future and I feel like I am in way over my head. Aside from managing a small coffee shop when I was in college, I don't know much about the business. We want to start small, maybe open an at home roasting business or a drive thru. I just don't know where to start and those schools seem to be a legit answer.. any advice? Has anyone gone to them?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
coffee schools in USA are extremely expensive to learn about barista, cupping and roasting.
"coffee camp" from Ensoluna S.A. offers complete coffee educational programs and much more for less than half of pricing, at the origin of coffee country in GUATEMALAL.
you get to learn about origin of coffee, coffee process (beneficio humedo, seco), retail & distribution side of business, plus all the techniques ...etc
please check out .:ENSOLUNA:. coffee camp section.
if you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Get a job at a local shop if you can - hands on experience was the best thing I did. If that's not available learn as much as you can from books & videos before going to a school. Most of the schools are designed for people actually in the process of opening. Coffee Fest and SCAA shows also offer training classes during the trade shows. And last, don't leave out Jack's Midwest Barista School. Jack is a great asset to the coffee community and one heck of a nice guy. If he offers what your looking for I wouldn't hesitate to attend.

Midwest Barista School - Barista Training + Coffee School

FYI - Roasting is a different beast. You have to roast and cup/taste.. MANY MANY times to develop your taste buds to the point you can be a good roaster.