Commercial espresso machine testing

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
In the UK commercial espresso coffee machines have to be inspected and tested every year (14 months max usually) by a qualified boiler inspector, the work carried out for them by the relevant engineer to prove they are in a safe working condition when used in a public space.
I know from experience that this is seldom done despite it being the law... HSE and "Pressure Vessels Act 2000" for those of you up for a challenging read.
A few years ago in a well publicised event, a machine exploded in a supermarket in Hampshire and it certainly stirred up the industry as a whole.
Few people I meet are aware of the situation or turn a blind eye due to costs and hassle but they shouldn't. If someone was injured by their machine it's worth remembering that many would turn to the insurance company or a "no win no fee" solicitor. At this point it would be good to be able to produce the test certificate and "written scheme" that the inspection would of provided. Insurance is more likely to pay out in full also.
Most larger companies get this work done and since the incident in the supermarket there are a lot more owner operators doing the same - how many cafe owners on here get them done?

Last edited:

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
Not so many I guess!
I hear that more HSE visits are causing problems for those people using espresso machines in their cafes/restaurants.
In short, you could be asked to turn off your machine until it has been inspected and a "written scheme" has been put in place to cover it. Imagine that on a busy morning...

coffeemannw

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Wow! I'm not aware of any such inspection requirements in the US. We have the NSF regulation and the mostly state and local after that. Usually, everything is tied to the NSF. If we start getting exploding machines, I'm sure we will start getting some regulations here. In my 15 years in the industry, this is the first I've heard of a machine blowing up. Must have been a very poorly maintained machine.

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
The machine was not so old at all, a modern Elektra.
I wondered if the safety valve was correct? A simple device like that could be held shut if it was too tall for instance? The top of the machine and weight of cups holding it down? All made worse by another failure, lime scale blocking the pressure switch?
i was told the rear boiler weld split at a calculated 9 bar...

BBC News - Several hurt in Sainsbury's coffee machine explosion