Vacuum Packaging for green coffee

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
But... They're only saying they don't like it for some origins, like Indonesians. They also says this here http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/glossary/term/720;

Vacuum Packaging Sealing coffee in an air-tight container, with the air removed via vacuum. Green coffee and roasted coffee can both be vacuum packed to extend shelf life. Sweet Maria's is a big fan of vacuum-packing, even though we do not ship you your coffee in vac packs. We use it extensively, in a behind-the-scenes sort of way. We both receive many of our coffees from origin in vacuum pack (as well as GrainPro bags) and we switch lots into vacuum pack to offer at a later date. It is not a cure-all, and does not allow coffee to be stored indefinitely. But we feel it adds at least 6 months of shelf life to green coffee, when it is an approprately "rested" lot (i.e. has low water activity measurement) and is kept in a cool, dark place.

Works great for what I use it for.

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
IMHO, I receive green coffees in jute, vacuum sealed, and GrainPro bags. I see very little difference between vacuum sealing and GrainPro packaging.
I may give GrainPro a little advantage, because, sometimes the sealed coffee breaks in transit in the boxes shipped.(happened twice to me),
the bags were not broken open(no spillage), but seals were broken. It was no problem because I transferred that coffee into GrainPro bags.
As a small shop roaster, some coffees will be around for 6 months. Therefore if it is received in jute/burlap, I will transfer that coffee into the GrainPro,
back into the jute. Years ago I spoke to the owner of GrainPro in Concord, MA. He told me straight up, "We cannot make bad green coffee good,
but we can preserve good coffee for 1 year." Maintaining it's moisture. I think the question to ask though, is how is it stored upon reception?
Green Coffee Storage Issues Good article on storage.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
What do you think of Vacuum Packaging for green coffee?

hi. 1 to 10 scale, 10 being the best.
Jute : about 8. most of commercial grade green coffees are sold in jute bag.
GrainPro : about 9. most of specialty coffee is sold in this type of bag. about $2 to $4 per one bag
Vacuum : 10. in our case, very high grade specialty coffee (such has Geisha / yellow or red bourbon / mundo novo) & auction coffee are being sold in Vacuum bag. But in smaller sizes, not 69kgs.
thanks
alex

Bereka

Nov 24, 2014
Washington, DC
Visit site
Yes Grain-Pro is the usual methods of packing for specialty Green Coffee in Ethiopia
and Vacuum packing service is something new

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If green coffee is too moist, it will difficult to draw and keep vacuum in the bag. Also you may need to double bag it because the vacuum bag is easy to get punctured.

The only reason to vacuum green coffee, imho, is to freeze it for storage. The better the vacuum, the longer the frozen beans will be preserved.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, purpose of vacuum is to isolate from oxygen to slow down oxidation process. And the purpose of freezing is to slow down algae/bacteria growth. Low temperature can also slow down oxidation since it's a chemical process.
So vacuum packaging can at least serve the first purpose. But if the beans are too moist, you will create water vapor in the bag which has oxygen in it too.

Exactly...which is why I do not advise vacuum for long term storage except for freezing...AND the more oxygen extraction the better, so don't skimp on the vacuum pump and end up with poor extraction.