Scam internet coffee order?

aram

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Aram, here, Precision Valley Coffee Roasters--yesterday we received an email from an individual in Poland asking if we shipped coffee to Poland. We replied that we have not shipped coffee overseas, but would consider it. Today I get an outrageously large order from him, even before I have researched shipping options ---asking us to use his shipping company...We are, of course, concerned that this is some sort of a scam, but we are unsure how to reply--or if there is a way to verify any of his information--just in case it isnt a scam! Has anyone else received any email enquiries of this sort, and what was your response? Thanks!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Get payment, deposit it, and wait for your bank to affirm that it has not bounced, then ship.

I say it's a scam. They may even send payment, but that doesn't mean you have the money.

Kilowatt

Feb 1, 2015
Podunk
Visit site
Aram, here, Precision Valley Coffee Roasters--yesterday we received an email from an individual in Poland asking if we shipped coffee to Poland. We replied that we have not shipped coffee overseas, but would consider it. Today I get an outrageously large order from him, even before I have researched shipping options ---asking us to use his shipping company...We are, of course, concerned that this is some sort of a scam, but we are unsure how to reply--or if there is a way to verify any of his information--just in case it isnt a scam! Has anyone else received any email enquiries of this sort, and what was your response? Thanks!

Here's my 2¢. I would be very suspicious. How did they get your name? Why would they be willing to buy from the U.S. when there are MANY roasters in Europe who are probably at least as skilled at roasting as you are? (no offense, very few people are THAT good) :)

Even if the money makes it to your account electronically, there is no guarantee it is legit. Ask your banker how long a deposit needs to remain before it is considered permanent.

Don't accept a check, either; there are many experts out there at forging cashiers checks.

Unless you are going through a secured medium like eBay where your transaction is protected, I would shy away.

Living_Rave

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Scam for sure. Never let your product be shipped by anyone you cannot directly get proper insurance from. Go with your guts and deny this scam.

aram

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Get payment, deposit it, and wait for your bank to affirm that it has not bounced, then ship.

I say it's a scam. They may even send payment, but that doesn't mean you have the money.

Thanks, everyone for affirming my suspicions. Appreciate all your responses!
Aram

aram

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Internet coffee order scam

I just received an order from Cameroon for 50 5lb bags. Of course next to Nigeria, Cameroon is second in internet scams. I get emails like that at least 3-4 times per month.

Here's the other thing---the order they requested was for 6 oz bags---not sure where they got that number from, since we sell 12 oz bags. They did, however, request the coffees we have listed on our website, so I suspect whoever these guys are, they are targeting small roasters who might be thrilled to get such a large order!

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
For some reason they all seem to ask for a list of "Your Best Coffees." I'm sure you're right about the targeting of smaller companies. For wholesale accounts I only deal with people I can meet face to face or they have to pay up front for several orders before I set up an account for them.

Latest posts