Advice on LA MARZOCCOS listed on ebay.

sld

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Has anyone purchased a La Marzocco from ebay? There is a company Tagex Surplus that has three groups listed for $2,500.00. There is a 30 day money back guarantee(on some) but shipping there and back would be close to $1,000.00 if something is wrong with it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them. Thank-you

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
I have a feeling you might be talking about a few of the old *Bucks machines that have been put out to pasture. If that's the case...hope for a good one.

CoffeeBlends

Jan 20, 2005
NEBRASKA
Visit site
I have never had luck purchasing any machine on ebay.
I know the prices look right but beware, you may end up spending more in repairs than what a new one would have cost. I am at least lucky enough that I have all the same brand and use the machines for parts.

Sinister703

May 31, 2004
Windsor,Ontario
Visit site
HI, I read alot about Tagex's La Marzoccos and most seem pretty good. They are all ex-Starbucks machines, and apparently Starbucks had a pretty strict maintenance program for them. They are selling them because they are changing the type of machine they use at thier stores.
Coulpe things to note:
Tagexs machine have no legs on them, you will need to buy some.
They have only 1 portafilter.
They were taken out of the stores quickly and so power cords are cut. There is water in the boilers still.
They may need descaling, and at the very least a flushing of the boiler.
They will all need new group gaskets, dipsersion screens.

But overall, assuming you spend an extra $1000 (which is about the max unless the machine has real big problems) you still got a good deal!

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
You might want to read THIS THREAD from a while back on the same topic. Since posting these messages I have received 2 separate calls from shop owners looking for assistance in finding service technicians for substantial repairs on their TAGEX liquidated machines. One of the two ultimately sold his machine back on eBay (at a loss) and bought a new one.

You do not want to skimp on the money making tool of your business - if your budget does not allow for a new La Marzocco, get something else new, like a CMA machines, Astoria, Rancilio... you name it. It's just not worth the gamble.

sld

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Thank-you for all of your replies. We were concerened about ordering one of these and really don't want to take the chance on its performance. Thanks again.