Researching automatic espresso machines...

MrPix

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

We're researching economical commercial 2 group automatic espresso machines.

We've been looking at the Nuova Simonelli Appia Volumetric Automatic 2 Group Espresso Coffee Machine and the Astoria Gloria Line 2 Group Automatic Espresso Machine - SAE 2. Both have similar specs but there's a shortage of reviews of real world experience in coffee shops.

Anyone have any working experience with these machines and have any comments?

Just to be clear, we are looking at "economical" and "premium" machines separately, and these are just some of the economical machines we're looking at. We're open to suggestions of others. The main advantage of the economical machines is we can buy outright and not be beholden to anyone, whereas with the leased premium machines, we're beholden to a specific supplier.

Mr Pix

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I don't have a lot of experience on those exact machines... but have used NS & Astoria machines in the past. Overall out of those two choices I think Nuova Simonelli is probably a slightly better machine. I probably would save the money and not go with a volumetric unit ... A good barista will go by sight vs. a pre-programed volume. Probably the next step up from those choices would be Nuova's Aurelia or a La Marzocco Linea. Rancilio makes nice units as well - but I have not kept up with their product line. I personally run a older Linea 3 head unit which we installed PID's into for temp stability. Whatever you do - check with your local espresso tech and make sure they can support your purchase.

MrPix

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
It's one of those quirks. I'd like a semi-automatic, but I am told that with the full employment and hopping economy here, hiring top notch baristas who can actually keep an eye on things no matter how busy it gets is a challenge. The trick is to use an automatic that can work as a semi-automatic too. More to go wrong, though, I guess.

I haven't looked at WMF because if it breaks you're closed. Buying two would be..... expensive!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It's one of those quirks. I'd like a semi-automatic, but I am told that with the full employment and hopping economy here, hiring top notch baristas who can actually keep an eye on things no matter how busy it gets is a challenge.

If that is the case... take a look at the Linea 2 group w/ a Swift grinder. I managed our church (large church... 3K per service) w/ a volunteer staff. With this combo it was easy to produce a great quality product with little training.

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
As Musicphan says, take a look at what is available in your area and make sure they can offer technical support. Personally, I like Rancilio's very much, very well made and produce great coffee. Not such a fan of Marzocco, I have worked on a few, not easy, expensive too. Stick to a well known brand with back-up. Stay away from fully automatic "B2C" machines if you take my advice!