Future Cuban Coffee Market of 12 Million People

JCF

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
As you probably know, the U.S. and Cuban Government are now talking about "Normalizing Relations" between the Countries and in the Future Opening up of some ties, travel and trade between the two. Hopefully, this will bring about Democracy, and finally a better Life for the Cuban People. The jury is out on that, but, they say that those in the "Know" are in the process of preparing for this opening up of trade between the countries. If, in fact this happens, this could this be a NEW 12 Million person COFFEE MARKET for people that have not had quality Coffee for a long time. I would think that food, beverages, and necessary items would probably be the first sector that would open. Does anyone know what the Policy is or will be in the future, in terms of Coffee and whether it will be a item that will be allowed to be exported or produced there? Thanks.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
honestly, I did not know that US and Cuba are talking about "open relationship". that could be exciting.

As far as coffee in Cuba is concerned, it is rather very small production, specially around Sierra Maestra Mountains regions. Last year, Cuba exported 30 million pounds of coffee (according to ICO data), that is extremely small q'ty. Cuba's coffee goes to France & Japan mostly (none to USA). as example, small country like Costa Rica exported 240 million pounds, with half of size of land & population. & Guatemala with over 500 million pounds.

They really have a long way to go as far as coffee exportation is concerned.

Cuba imports about $50 million dollars worth annually (probably from Mexico & Brazil where they have very open commercial policy with).

there are about 1.4 million cubans living in USA, most of them in Miami. I used to travel to Miami few times a year to visit my customers (electronic business few years back) and almost all of my customers were Cubans and they all drank Cuban coffee which is very sweet, highly caffeinated, finely ground, dark roasted. For me, I love it (mainly because it was very strong (water to coffee ratio as Peter mentioned before) and sweet). However, the Cuban coffee got nothing to do with real Cuban coffee. the coffees were from Brazil and Colombia, the machine was made in Italy and the coffee making workers were/are from Nicaragua, Argentina or anywhere else but Cuba.

As I know, Cuba has one of the best lands & soils for growing great coffee. they can be a great coffee country if everything falls into right place... but the real question is WHEN.

Last edited:

JCF

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ensoluna for the information. You appear to know the Cuban and the Miami Cuban Coffee scene well, jejejeje. Everyone enjoys their Cafecito several times a day down here in Miami, and the truth is, it keeps you awake and going. Of course, I just posed the Cuba question because of possible future trade, because it has been in the News the last several months. And they say that you have to be ahead of the news. I have also heard that the soil in Cuba is excellent for Coffee Growth and I am sure that the people of Cuba would love to enjoy good Coffee. Not to mention the World tourism that would travel to Cuba if Democratic changes would take place. Cuba, has been for the most part forbidden territory for so many years. There are few places that would present such a good opportunity to sell, market and grow a brand. Everyone would essentially start from day one. No one would be ahead of another. Having said all of that, I presently have a small Coffee Roasting/Plant Equipment for sale in South Florida Miami area. If anyone may be interested my email is [email protected] or send me a message in this forum. THANKS.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hi John
I am glad that I am "again" getting to know another good Cuban via coffee business. that is a blessing.

During my 25 years of electronic business, most of my customers in Miami and Caribbean islands were Cubans. Great, Fun people to work with.
Great Coffee (back than, I liked and enjoyed Cuban coffee a lot, very dark, 2 oz with covered with sugar). I used to have four, five, six in a day. And whenever I visited my customers, that was all they served day and night.

I also hope that Cuban can open up for coffee business along with all other trades..etc I used to know a lot of Canada and Mexico customers who used to go to Cuba for vacation and told me how wonderful time they had. Hopefully that day will come for me also. I love to visit Havana and see some old American cars, drinking REAL Cuban coffee, (but no Cigar, I do not smoke :+)

anyway, I can tell you are a "Hispanic/Cuban" because you write "je je je" instead of "ha ha ha" like American people does.
take care, My man.

Last edited:

JCF

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
hi John
I am glad that I am "again" getting to know another good Cuban via coffee business. that is a blessing.

During my 25 years of electronic business, most of my customers in Miami and Caribbean islands were Cubans. Great, Fun people to work with.
Great Coffee (back than, I liked and enjoyed Cuban coffee a lot, very dark, 2 oz with covered with sugar). I used to have four, five, six in a day. And whenever I visited my customers, that was all they served day and night.

I also hope that Cuban can open up for coffee business along with all other trades..etc I used to know a lot of Canada and Mexico customers who used to go to Cuba for vacation and told me how wonderful time they had. Hopefully that day will come for me also. I love to visit Havana and see some old American cars, drinking REAL Cuban coffee, (but no Cigar, I do not smoke :+)

anyway, I can tell you are a "Hispanic/Cuban" because you write "je je je" instead of "ha ha ha" like American people does.
take care, My man.
Thanks for the Kind words Ensoluna, the pleasure is mine in meeting you. You certainty know a lot about Coffee, and I enjoy your post's and knowledge about your travel to the heart of the Coffee Growing World in Central America. Miami continues to grow into an International City, and it's proximity to Central and South American will continue to make it a great Gateway City to the Islands and Latin America. I suspect that the Coffee Trade will continue and only expand in the future years. Thanks, and I look forward to future post's in this great Coffee Forum.

Last edited:

Latest posts