Which Packaging Option do You Prefer?

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I'm going back and forth on which type of packaging to use for our new roastery. I'd appreciate feedback in the form of selecting which of these two type of coffee packaging you prefer (and for some it may be based on what you know your customers prefer). I'm trying to decide between a more traditional side-gusseted bag with tin tie and the stand-up pouch with the zip seal.

Thanks in advance for your input!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KNVWZ5M

~ Ryan

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Where do you plan on selling your product? I have not sold to grocery stores in a while. I remember a while back though that they prefer the side gusseted bags. They feel it is easier to stock. I use the side gusseted in my stores for the same reason. Hope this helps.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Where do you plan on selling your product? I have not sold to grocery stores in a while. I remember a while back though that they prefer the side gusseted bags. They feel it is easier to stock. I use the side gusseted in my stores for the same reason. Hope this helps.

That's a good point, topher. That's a major point in favor of the side-gusseted bags.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Price is also a huge factor. The sided gusseted are less expensive. What company have you been speaking to about bags? I have used them all...pm me if you want some numbers.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I use the stand up zip pouches. But I don't stock shelves. If I did, I'd be looking at those new flat-bottomed bags; don't know exactly what they're called, but you'll know 'em when you see 'em.

The only advantage I see to the stand up pouches is that they're a bit easier to seal, since there are only two layers to melt.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Ryan - I found that most of the grocery store/wholesale business is looking for the traditional bags. They are smaller in size and are more uniform with the national brands so shelf spacing is efficient. I personally like the stand up / zipper pouch better - better branding, larger packaging which gives the perception there is more volume in the bag. Keep in mind... if you go with the stand up bags you only have space to print on the front / back (assuming you are using something like Roaster). With the traditional bags you have printing space on all four sides.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Another point on these bags. With the stand-up pouch, its usually a fixed size (12, 16 oz, etc) but with the gusseted style, the same product can hold either 12 or 16 oz. So you could stock the same product for two functions. That's if you're interested in even offering those two sizes.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Good thoughts, everyone. I'm nearly certain, at this point, that we'll be going with the traditional side-gusseted bags. My graphic design / branding folks think it'll fit our image better, too.