Apple Pay?

DianaScott

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really sure if this is the right section to post this but I figured this is as close as it gets so..
I've had some customers asking if they can pay via Apple recently. What is this exactly? I'm clueless. Is this some sort of gift certificate or something?

NarcisaShepherd

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm not really sure if this is the right section to post this but I figured this is as close as it gets so..
I've had some customers asking if they can pay via Apple recently. What is this exactly? I'm clueless. Is this some sort of gift certificate or something?

Hello Diana:) I'm not so familiar with it also until my daughter told me about it. She explained to me that Apple pay is a type of payment service that can be use at groceries or other establishments to pay for what you got by using an iPhone 6 or iPhone plus. She has not tried it yet but she likes to use it soon.

DianaScott

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I just wonder, do all regular credit card machines accept Apple payments? I was thinking of upgrading my credit card machine. Maybe I should buy something like this by TSys? It accepts NFC payments too. Are Apple pay and NFC payments common nowadays? I've always used just regular credit cards. :decaf:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Apple Pay uses NFC to communicate back and forth from the digital wallet (AKA iPhone, etc) and your credit card machine. Not only does your CC machine need to have this functionality but your payment processers also needs to support Apple Pay. If you are going to incur cost to upgrade your machine also consider adding EMV / chip & pin card support. EMV is a small chip within a credit card which allows a second point of verification to reduce fraud. These are common outside of the US and are becoming more and more common in the US after the Target breach.

More on Apple Pay
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204274

More on Chip & Pin
EMV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
If not now it will be soon that you will need the reader that supports EMV. If you accept a card that is stolen and you do not have an updated reader then you will be liable for the entire fund, no refunds from the bank US credit cards will soon have chips on them. I have a reader that accepts Apple pay but do not use it in my system. Maybe later but i still prefer to manually swipe the card. Speak to your bank or whoever you do business with and get their advice.

I use a VeriFone VX 520...look up the specs and it will also tell you a lot of the new changes

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Ahh... Charlie is on his game! I currently work in the Information Security business... glad to see a retailer know what's going on. And just make sure your using a firewall if your doing IP (internet) based transactions!