Coffee Fumigation

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I'd never thought about it till the other day but way back several light years ago I used to import wood. Since lots of creepy-crawly things live on and in wood the container would be fumigated before leaving the port of origin. Then when it got to me if customs decided there were still creepy-crawlys hanging on to life, I'd have to have the container fumigated again before being able to take delivery.

So I asked one of my bean suppliers and he said the same thing happens with coffee. If that is the case, is organic coffee really organic?

I see the powers that be are working with different types of fumigation, like ozone fumigation, but that's a lot of oxygen to pump into a container and does it oxidize and/or effect the coffee?

And in most countries where coffee comes from, where money is tight, wouldn't they use the cheapest form of fumigation -- which I understand is done with methyl bromide, a pretty harsh chemical? One that would negate any claims of organic; from what I understand.

Looking around the web I find a lot of conflicting and incomplete information on coffee fumigation so do any of you out there KNOW the ins and outs of the fumigation process(es) currently in use and their effect on coffee?

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
This is the single reason the whole organic coffee is hog wash. The organic coffee generally sits next to the non organic coffee and is fumigated. Sometimes the organic is separated by a plastic tarp / sheet.

Other things go nuts in the distributors warehouses too. The Dupuy Group Miami warehouse was shut down for a few months for a rat infestation.