Hello! Intro and a question about selling cold brewed coffee at festivals

Wayfarer

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey there! Been reading for a while and learning so much! I have been cold brewing coffee and hope to take the show on the road. We are vendors at festivals in a specific market for the last 4 years. There is no good hot coffee and no cold coffee at all. I want to serve it on tap since Guinness is popular at these festivals. I think it would be fun and refreshing for the non beer drinkers, and the beer drinkers who need some coffee:wink:
Does anyone here have experience with this in a mobile setting?
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

quantumbeancoffee

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
We use the toddy commercial cold brewer with really good results. We brew into containers the night before and then refrigerate and take it in coolers to the market or festival! Just use a course grind and try and blend coffees. We love single origin but the cold brew seems to really open up with multiple origins. Hope this helps.

Wayfarer

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have just been in contact with the local office to see what I need to do. Working with two local roasters on blends. I was focusing so much on the refrigeration, I didn't think about water! Lots of homework to do!

Wayfarer

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Got a reply from the local ag office. He said coffee is potentially hazardous and needs to be brewed in a commercial kitchen. He gave me the contact for the retail end of it. I guess for the selling regulations. I asked him if I chose to use a trailer would that be the commercial kitchen. I am guessing that's how it works with food carts/trucks. I will post when I get some answers in case anyone else is interested.

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
What State ? Most places will make you produce any food product ( coffee included ) in a department of health approved commercial kitchen. Most mobile food distributors have to prepare all food for retail sales in a commercial kitchen not in the truck. Coffee is considered "food" where I'm at.

Wayfarer

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I asked if the truck would be considered a commercial kitchen. This was the reply. I am in Pa

Yes it would, just like any other food truck if it meets the minimum requirements (See the attached checklist). You would need to complete a retail food facility application.
And yes, renting a space in a commercial kitchen is totally fine (you will still need to register using the food establishment application), you may in addition need a retail license for selling the product at the market as the kitchen is only used for processing/storage.

There was a 20 page app attached. I am still a bit confused. I will call to speak with someone directly tomorrow. I have the idea of what I want but not sure how to make it happen just yet!

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Oh man, we are trying to jump through all the hoops correctly too right now. We want to be legit, but it's hard when each person we talk to says something a little different. Hope you are able to figure it all out and I will be watching this thread in case I can learn anything you learn! Hope it goes well!

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I asked if the truck would be considered a commercial kitchen. This was the reply. I am in Pa

Yes it would, just like any other food truck if it meets the minimum requirements (See the attached checklist). You would need to complete a retail food facility application.
And yes, renting a space in a commercial kitchen is totally fine (you will still need to register using the food establishment application), you may in addition need a retail license for selling the product at the market as the kitchen is only used for processing/storage.

There was a 20 page app attached. I am still a bit confused. I will call to speak with someone directly tomorrow. I have the idea of what I want but not sure how to make it happen just yet!
Hi Wayfarer,

I'm a commercial coffee roaster, and I serve Nitro Cold Brew every weekend at our local farmer's market. I'm in California, so the health laws may be different, however here are a few tips to go on.

1. Coffee is NOT a potential hazardous food item. However, since it IS food, if you are brewing it ahead of time, you must brew it in a commercial kitchen.
2. There's a good chance you can find a commercial kitchen where you can rent space for an hour at a time.
4. In California, if you have a truck with a 3-compartment sink, you'll be able to prepare food, and can clean equipment in it, however, you'd still need access to a commissary where you can dump your waste water, and store the vehicle.
5. You'll probably also need a business permit.
6. First, talk with the company running the events, and find out what permits you'll need, then contact the organization in charge of granting those permits. Chances are, each of them will have their own departments that specialize in special events / mobile setups. Talk with those departments directly, and ask a lot of questions.
7. After you find out what permits you need, then start working on making the health dept happy. If necessary, most of the other departments will differ to them.

This is enough to get you started. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

Latest posts