Help with Bunn Commercial airpot brewer.

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I found a used Bunn CWTF-APS single airpot brewer for cheap and picked it up. It is designed to be plumbed to a water line but has a screen on top that opens up to pour in water. Can I use this without plumbing it? The manual does not give this as an option. I'd like to be able to just fill the tank manually and brew one at a time. Is this possible?? Thanks!

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
CCafe - Thanks for the quick reply. Will I need to cap off the inlet port for the water line? I put about 3 litres in the top and as it heated about half a cup dripped out the inlet.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I would recommend to cap it off, or it will continue to leak out some. Brass or plastic is fine.
After the boiler is full(you could tell when it is full, after it stops pouring through the brew basket).
When the ready light indicates the boiler is heated for brewing, the amount of cold water you pour
through the top screen will be the amount brewed. The boiler will keep heating, just wait for the indicator
light to brew the next batch.

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone using a flojet with bottled water for these? Also - what amount (weight) of coffee should I aim for in this? I have 3 litre airpots.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You can use a Flojet just fine. Your Bunn should use 1/4" flare.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...brass-flare-female-connector-14-x-14-ffl.aspx

Install that fitting on your Bunn and run 1/4 tube from the fitting to the water connection on the pump.

Now if you want a little quieter operation from your Flojet and a more consistent pressure being delivered to your brewer I might suggest installing an accumulator tank. They can be a tad pricey but have found they tend to smooth out the operation of the Flojet in some situations.

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah - what i have in mind is being able to take this set up to demos, events, etc... Then I also have hot water for pour-over.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well for demoing I'd just install that fitting and run 1/4" line to the flojet and you're pretty much set. Now all you need is a 5 gallon water bottle and you can fill that up just about anywhere. Best suggestion about filling, look for places that sell filtered water and it is best to avoid distilled and RO.

dougd

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I found a used Bunn CWTF-APS single airpot brewer for cheap and picked it up. It is designed to be plumbed to a water line but has a screen on top that opens up to pour in water. Can I use this without plumbing it? The manual does not give this as an option. I'd like to be able to just fill the tank manually and brew one at a time. Is this possible?? Thanks!

Hi, Bunn tech support is really good. I would fire off an email to them.

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
You can use a Flojet just fine. Your Bunn should use 1/4" flare.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...brass-flare-female-connector-14-x-14-ffl.aspx

Install that fitting on your Bunn and run 1/4 tube from the fitting to the water connection on the pump.

Now if you want a little quieter operation from your Flojet and a more consistent pressure being delivered to your brewer I might suggest installing an accumulator tank. They can be a tad pricey but have found they tend to smooth out the operation of the Flojet in some situations.

Hi CCafe,
I am looking at doing the same thing as AndyP. I was looking at this Flojet unit and it shows diagrams on setting it up with coffee pots. You suggested a accumulator tank and I wondered how large of one should I consider? I installed one of these accumulator tanks in my RV Trailer once, not sure it would be adequate or not.

AndyP,
Did you complete your setup yet? If so, what did you end up doing?

Cheers,
Jerry