What to look for in a coffee broker?

Brewbuddy

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
From your past experiences, or as a broker yourself, what questions should you ask a broker to determine who would be the best one for you? Also, how would your recommend generating a list of potential brokers? I presume there must be an association of brokers?

Assuming you want to roast your own beans.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hello Brewbuddy,
by the way, what does a coffee broker do exactly?
is he like a coffee trader, working between coffee farmers/cooperatives and green bean buyers (like cafeimports or Royal cafe)?
so, he works on strictly on commission that he gets from his buyers?
I am not sure of the responsibilities of coffee broker.
thanks

Brewbuddy

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, they are coffee traders. The individuals or companies who source and import coffee beans for wholesale to roasters.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I look for anyone who is close enough that freight won't be too high, and a salesperson I can build a rapport with who will learn the kind of quality I want and steer me away from dogs/past crop. Having a friendly, helpful person on the other end of the line is a priority for me. I've dealt with a few salespeople that think they're doing me a favor by selling me coffee, or treat me like a small fry because I only use 60-70 bags in a year, or scoff at the idea of sending samples.

Right now, I'm using Royal NY, Royal CA, and Cafe Imports. Both Royals warehouse in WI about an hour away, and CI is in St. Paul, so both will cost me $60-70 freight to my doorstep. Typically, if I order before noon they'll ship the same day and I have it the following day.

Brewbuddy

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Great advice, thanks Peter. Hoping to get up to see your place one of these weekends. I live just south of the WI border in IL.

I would love to hear from others, please respond to this thread if you have some advice.

Phil