The decision to provide equipment to a customer

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Several roasters both on these forums and elsewhere have recommended that I do not provide equipment to coffee shops whatsoever. I found a new customer who's looking to switch roasters but the old roaster owns their Airpot brewer, airpots, grinder, and some other small stuff. They own their own espresso machine and espresso grinder. Other than the break even calculation on cost of equipment and volume of coffee sold - what else should I think about? I would hate to turn down a new coffee shop ( I've only been in business 9 months ), but so far I've avoided anything other than selling bags of coffee. Thoughts? Advice? There is 1 other local roasters with sub par coffee, that happily provide equipment.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
If you are actually providing a much better coffee than the other local roaster, and can demonstrate this (maybe with a free cupping class, or a simple "let me brew A and B, and we can compare."), then they will be willing to make the necessary investment in the equipment. If not, move on.

A butcher is not expected to provide an oven, a range, or a grill.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I wouldn't get involved with espresso machines and very high maintenance, expensive equipment. However, for regular Brewers and grinders, I see it as a necessary evil. If the customer is willing to commit to you and your product, exclusively, then I am not opposed to helping with equipment on a reasonable level. The way I see it is this way: if I am not willing to, there are dozens of others who are. And that's business I would be giving them. Handing over because I do not want to make the investment. If you make it clear to the customer that they must be exclusive with you, and agree upon a price that justifies you subsidizing the equipment, then it's worth it.