Looking to get into the Coffee industry

yeonjchung624

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi, coffeeforums.

I'm looking to get some advice and thoughts are opening a cafe and getting into the coffee industry.
Just some basic liners, as this is a goal for my future, and not trying to get into it asap.
I'm going to college as Business Administration, and I'd like some insight as to how it is to own a cafe and how it was starting out with a dream.
I'd appreciate any kind of help regarding this topic. Thank you in advance.

peach

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I would say if you are in college. Grab a job in a cafe part time. This will get you used to the environment, equipment and basics of the business. Read magazines and web based content (Barista Magazine, daily coffee news.com, ect) Go to any coffee based events and start saying hello to people. Those three exercises alone helped get me the cafe I own. Good Luck and God Bless!

yeonjchung624

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Well I was asking for general endeavors cafe owners commonly face. But I can be more specific. I'm inquiring as to how you guys got your dream cafe started, what specific things (not too personal) did you have to do?

P.S. Why yes, I am. Hahaha it's very common for Korean handles to have birthday in it huh?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Well I was asking for general endeavors cafe owners commonly face. But I can be more specific. I'm inquiring as to how you guys got your dream cafe started, what specific things (not too personal) did you have to do?

I do not think there is such a thing as "dream cafe".
you can "dream" to have a "dream cafe", but reality is very harsh and so much work is involved.

okay, going back to "specific things"

a. Money to get it started. $80K to $300K in Los Angeles, more or less.
b. Location Location Location - super important (if you want to roast at sight, then, your location will be limited. Need permit and not easy to get in a lot of places)
c. Menu and what do you really want to do with your dream cafe : specialty coffee items, or boba? coffee & tea? home-made deserts, breakfast / sandwiches or complete food...etc
d. Get an excellent Barista who is really good with people and with drinks. (you can have everything right but the Barista sucks, then, no one will be back for your coffee)
e. marketing via social media
f. cross marketing with some known coffee people / even get involved with some overseas coffee farms ....etc this explanation will get really long, so I will skip here

and whole bunch more.......

yeonjchung624

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Wow! That's almost exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. That's a popular blend in your area? What's a good method to find out which roast is popular?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
My first and only question is this; are you looking to start a cafe as a business venture only, and/or are you passionate about coffee?

Second, what is your current involvement with coffee? For example, have you ever roasted, worked in a cafe, etc.?

yeonjchung624

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My first and only question is this; are you looking to start a cafe as a business venture only, and/or are you passionate about coffee?

Second, what is your current involvement with coffee? For example, have you ever roasted, worked in a cafe, etc.?

I'm quite passionate about coffee, and this is also a business venture, but I had other options, it's just I love roasting and coffee. Therefore I thought it might be a good choice to consider my own cafe.

I have roasted few blends of coffee at home, but not anything technical roasts.