Barista visits a coffee farm

JessicaMaryBeans

Nov 28, 2012
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Hello coffee lovers, my names is Jessica and I need some guidance and advice on a plan I have. I am currently a barista in Nashville, TN and in search of an opportunity to work and live on a coffee farm. I contacted a few farms a month ago and I haven't heard anything back from them. I plan on doing this within 10-12 months from now but I want to make sure I cover all my bases to make this happen. :espressomachine: Thanks!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
if you are truly thinking of "living on a coffee farm", you are very brave. (I am guessing that you have never done that before????? ha ha ha)

if you are really interested in "checking out" coffee farm for your living, perhaps I can assist you on that.
ENSOLUNA is our Guatemala company website. you will see some of our farm photos and what we do.

If you want to come to Guatemala (or any other coffee countries) to learn about coffee business, yes, there are some programs and opportunities where you can actually do.
but living on a coffee farm for a long period time???!!!! I do not think that you can handle it. (UNLESS THE COFFEE FARM is located in Antigua, Guatemala which is very very touristic coffee farm & VERY EXPENSIVE to stay there (they are geared to tourism more so than actually coffee producing farm), but real coffee farms like we have in Quetzaltenango or in Huehuetenango, I do not think that you can stay no more than few days... :+)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
here are some photos that I took at a farm in Huehuetenango, Guatemala. My Aussie customers and I stayed there over night.
No electricity in the kitchen. no real bed. chickens running around all over the place, still using woods for fire to cook, ...etc
this is absolutely NORMAL & REAL coffee farm.

whatever you see from internet, those coffee farms are for tourism. If you go there, you will spend a fortune and hardly ever learn anything about coffee.
BTW, just to get to this farm, Finca Potomay, it took us 3 hours of mountain drive from paved road to get there.

View attachment 5171View attachment 5172View attachment 5173View attachment 5174View attachment 5175

Bereka

Nov 24, 2014
Washington, DC
Visit site
Its adventurous and its possible. If you are interested visiting Ethiopian coffee farm (Burka Gudina Coffee), I can connect you with our family. we have coffee farm in three locations in Ethiopia. I visited one of the farm in mid October, and I just got back to US on Nov. 1. take a look at my album to see photos. My cousin Moata Raya, an agronomist and certified Q grader, works for Techo Serve in Jimma Ethiopia, assisted many foreign coffee guru connect with farmers. I will post his photo soon

Bereka

Nov 24, 2014
Washington, DC
Visit site
83b8073c8cb65a97b312b7e1de993119.jpg
e4ea54e7746810cf7523e68726ab0e85.jpg
d08a402d26ba38e4c7e06f2e7869dad3.jpg