Have land in Horrendous that produces over 5,000 lbs of beans - Need advice

jonathansmith772

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm starting a coffee business because my wife has land in Hondurans that they use to harvest coffee beans and cocoa. I'm trying to help her get her business started because I do internet marketing for a living and I know the coffee business is booming. What do we need to do to export the coffee beans?

Thanks for taking the time to read and give your thoughts.

Jonathan

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
if your farm produces 5000 lbs beans, it is only about 12% of a 20' container which means very very small production for international customers to buy.

in order to export directly from your farm to overseas, you need export license. 99%, I do not think your wife has it.
that means, you have to sell your coffee to local exporters or cooperative, rather than selling directly to overseas.

I am "guessing" that your farm is about 3000 feet high altitude with mixed beans, catuai, caturra or catimor. (I am guessing this because 70% of Honduras farms are situated around 3000 feet altitude. But if your farm is located at higher than 5000 feet with single varietals, it could be slightly more profit, about 10% to 18% more)

considering the coffee market pricing and your coffee quality, you can sell your coffee to exporters or Coops in Honduras around $1.10 per pound.
that means, your crop for one year, (I am also assuming that your 5K pound of bean is green coffee, not parchment coffee) will be around $5500.00 worth of income.

if your 5K pound is parchment, your green bean will be 3500 pounds x $1.10 = $3850.00

from that after deducting your expenses (labor, fertilizers, rent, processing fee..etc), your net profit will be between $1000 to $1400 range.

jonathansmith772

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Where is Horrendous? Sounds frightfully far away...just sayin'...

lol...
I've been having some issues with my eyes because I work on the computer 9 to 11 hours day. They have retina bandages in my eyes so it's very difficult to read the monitor.

So back to the coffee...
I know my wife's mother has a export license but im not sure if it's just for personal use.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Oh my. That is not good at all...I went through eye issues a year ago and had to have the cataract surgery in both eyes. Before the surgery, my eyesight was so bad I really had to be up on the monitor myself in order to see anything.

Now getting back to the coffee...
Who would you sell to? Coffee buyers really know their business, and if you're new to this, you are likely not going to be too successful without help. Many small land owners sell to a local "Benficio" or coop. After this they go back to growing their coffee. If you want to sell your coffee direct, you will have to acquire some experience or you will struggle. Not sure what else to say.

I'm interested to hear where your farm is as we have a farm in Santa Rita, just outside of Copán Ruinas Honduras. We currently run it from the states, but are moving there next year. Depending on your location maybe we can help. -Daniel Kent

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452181769.211065.jpg