Grinder for white (under developed ) coffee

kmo1026

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I am roasting white coffee for a customer and it is finished before first crack. Does anyone have a recommendation on a grinder? They only use a few pounds a week.
The coffee is too hard for a regular grinder i have been told.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I am roasting white coffee for a customer and it is finished before first crack. Does anyone have a recommendation on a grinder? They only use a few pounds a week.
The coffee is too hard for a regular grinder i have been told.

what do you mean by "roasting white coffee"?
and finished before first crack? if you do not mind, can you tell us what kind of roaster you are using?
also, for grinder, what do you mean by regular grinder? you mean to say "home use under $20 grinder"?
if you want something stronger and commercial, what is your budget?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Rose.
I also learned something new.
I believe that I have tasted this "seriously under roasted coffee" long time ago. All I remember was "very grassy" flavor and aromas weren't there.
I guess that was not for me at all.
Personally, I like the roasting just passing first crack.
thanks Rose for the info

kmo1026

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
i am using a Diedrich roaster and by regular i mean a burr grinder. White coffee is roasted to about 335 finish temp and personally i do not like the taste but the espresso bar i am selling it to uses it. I am wondering if anyone knows the best grinder to use as i need it ground to sell it.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
335 F finish temp? no wonder it never passes the first crack! Probably you can even use "Air Fryer" (the highest temp is 400F, but I think it only reaches around 370F top) and it will "cook", but never properly roast. Few days ago, I actually used "air fryer" to cook/roast my green beans and i never got the first crack in 30 min.

in our company, we use Bunn grinder which works very well. however, it is about $800 or so.

288066.jpg

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I hate to admit it but I roast a lot of this coffee for certain clients. Basically you're grinding little rocks. No namby-pamby grinder is going to do the trick (see my newest post about grinding burrs). You'll need a heavy duty burr grinder and if you do a lot of this coffee you'll need to remember to charge your customers a bit more as your grinding discs are going to wear out sooner. The Bunn grinder will do the trick. I just spoke with MPE about a new grinder and they confirm that their experience with 'white coffee' is that it (and this is relative to the ratio of 'white' to typically roasted coffee) halves the life of a set of grinding burrs.