want to start coffee shop but where is the question

randstef

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Good morning. My name is Stefanie and my husband and I are looking into opening a coffee shop. WE currently live in Illinois and just found out that his employer of 28 years is closing its doors in December. We are looking at it as an opportunity for growth and to relocate. Always dreamed of owning a friendly neighborhood coffee shop and want to make it a reality. I have done alot of research on where to live and open a shop but man,its hard to know. Ideally we would like it to be in a quaint town with little shops and such or a college town,I guess the issue is finding a place that doesnt already have a coffee shop for local. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to research this better. WE want to be north if Illinois,like mn,co or washington or even wis. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks so much and have a blessed day!

Hi from Wisconsin

If you decide to go north, I will be happy to help with the coffee supply side of your venture. Look at Ripon, Wi or Stevens Point, or any of the small towns in between. Those are two college towns I can think of. You could try Oshkosh as well.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Make sure you are aware of the dynamics of a college town. Not all college towns are equal. Understand how much disposable income said students will have and if you are creating an environment that focuses on the student while ignoring other patrons. Find a location at a lease rate (or purchase price) that makes sense to you, and don't fall in love with a location if the numbers aren't right.

There are a lot of factors to consider, so don't box yourself in. Take your time. Research. Research. Research! Find those places who are doing what you want, and do what they do better.

I'm always available if you are serious about your coffee.

Best to you! :coffee:

randstef

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi John,we are determined to do this.Its a dream and we know its possible. Im so overwhelmed with reaearching a place to live and open that we dont know if we are coming or going. Any advice you can give is appreciated very much. We love the small town atmosphere but need to be close by a bigger town as well as we have a 15 year old daughter. We went to st peters mn this past week and it was a super cute victorian,old bulding town that we loved,but not much going on. They have 1 coffee shop so mot sure another one would go well. Also have looked into Colorado and utah near ski towns but to expensive to live. Ahhh,just overwhelmed and would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much!

Becks

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Good Morning Stefanie,
I know you said North of IL but thought I'd comment because you just never know...

I have a coffee roasting company located in the Upstate area of South Carolina (about half way between Greenville SC and Asheville NC) an excellent location. Our facility is over 4,000 sq feet, we are currently only using about 1,000 sq feet to roast in. I am looking for someone who would like to open a coffee shop in the remaining 3,000 sq feet. You'd have the freshest and fastest delivered coffee possible!!! LOL. If this is something you would consider let's talk.

randstef

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi,that sounds like an awesome opportunity,but I really want to go where there is snow. I will definetly mention to my husband though and get back to you. Thank you very much!

Rewardster

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi Stefanie,

I'd recommend starting by finding the towns that you most prefer to live in, and once you have a list you can easily check "Yelp" to see all the coffee shops listed in town. Here's an example of all the coffee shops listed in Boulder, Colorado (https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Coffee+Shops&find_loc=Boulder%2C+CO). Another option is to search "City Data" (City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more) to find out most anything about any city you're considering moving to.

I hope that helps.

Latest posts