Food Safety Practices

thirstyiceskates

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I've mentioned before that my brother and dad was planning a coffee and bakeshop business. Now, I'm also asked by them to manage it and take good care of its operation and food safety. I only want to ask what food safety practices do you use? I'm also researching about it and wish to hear from you.

AugustonCoffee

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what the regulations are in your area, but where I am in British Columbia, Canada, we have to meet several criteria before we can open. One of the key areas is having a food safety plan in place. Basically, the plan goes through the critical steps and it's required you have them written out before opening for *every* menu item. The critical steps are "receive, cold hold, prepare, cook, hot hold, cool, & reheat (for hot holding)." Each critical step has critical limits (min/max temps) and each critical limit has a check --basically temperature checks and logging at every step. There are also corrective action for each.

Case in point: Our refrigerated display case broke down and would not keep a cool enough temperature (under 40F). Our temperature logs recorded when the system broke down and the corrective actions taken: "moved all perishable items to additional refrigeration unit immediately." When the health inspector came in and saw we were no longer using it as a refrigerated display case, he could also see our temperature logs and our corrective action for perishable items. So, all was good for our report. :)

thirstyiceskates

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Looking at it, it seems not simple as we thought. Besides the physical preps, there are so many factors to consider most especially not the safety side since it is a must for food handlers. Honestly, it feels overwhelming, considering that there are many regulation and standards we must adhere to. I'm not complaining but literally, papers are piling up and it seems never ending. :(

Anyway, what we did is to delegate tasks and I think it is a much better set-up. I am in-charge of the processes which requires some research. I read blogs on food safety risk management as well as customer service management. While other family members are in-charge of documentation, supplies and other things.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
You need to go to your local health dept and see what they are going to require. Some also want floor plans. Plus building and zoning.

LoganSmith

May 29, 2017
Chicago
Visit site
First, you need to check the suppliers of goods. It is necessary that all the ingredients be of high quality and that there would be all the necessary information about the product. And the main thing is to listen to the customers' feedback.
If you do not have enough time to do homework, then you can buy cheap paper online. Professional writers will do your work on the highest mark.

Last edited:

lifejourneys

Jun 23, 2019
Visit site
Can't imagine my life without coffee. I have an article writing jobs, i'm a freelance writer, so often i have to stay late when i have a lot of project, so i don't know if i would manage to do that without cofee. It's also a perfect way of starting a morning and get your brain ready for work. Coffee can help people feel less tired and increase energy levels, that's why it's my favourite drinks.