Attention to Detail

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I was having a conversation the other day and we started talking about craftsmanship and the idea of seeking perfection - but from a Japanese ideal. And yes, there is a difference. The ability to do anything to the highest standard is all about attention to detail. The one single element that moves you from novice to expert and from expert to "world class" and from "world class" to "one of a kind" is attention to detail.

It's about understanding cause and effect.

If you roast this coffee at this time and temperature then this will happen. If you change your profile to A then THIS result will happen. If you change to B then THAT result will happen. But if you do profile A on a new coffee it gives result C or D... and so on. It's about the attention to detail. Taking the time to understand where just a small change can make a big difference in the results.

The more you pay attention to details, the better experience you can give your customer.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I was having a conversation the other day and we started talking about craftsmanship and the idea of seeking perfection - but from a Japanese ideal. And yes, there is a difference. The ability to do anything to the highest standard is all about attention to detail. The one single element that moves you from novice to expert and from expert to "world class" and from "world class" to "one of a kind" is attention to detail.

It's about understanding cause and effect.

If you roast this coffee at this time and temperature then this will happen. If you change your profile to A then THIS result will happen. If you change to B then THAT result will happen. But if you do profile A on a new coffee it gives result C or D... and so on. It's about the attention to detail. Taking the time to understand where just a small change can make a big difference in the results.

The more you pay attention to details, the better experience you can give your customer.

I can only imagine what it takes to be a master roaster but what you say makes sense. I'm still trying to figure out how to be good consumer and get the most/best flavor out of the beans. Figuring out the correct grind for each bean takes a few cups then as the bean starts to get a few days off roast and the flavor changes so back to changing the grind or amount of beans used and then the weekend rolls around and it's time to get out the Chemex and figure out the grind that works best for that. It's exhausting and before you know it my 12 oz bag is gone and new one comes and I start the process over again, like I said I only image what a roaster goes thru.

It sure is fun thought though tasting the fruits of your labor.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Duffyjr,

Once you understand that there's a general progression in flow rate and flavors with respect to espresso and coffee, then it's easier to account for the differences. It's fantastic when consumers understand that it's a process and they find joy in the journey.

:coffee: