How Do You Present Yourself As An Owner

chirmflask

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
I currently own a coffee shop joint in my city. The city isn't too large, but its growing each and everyday. Most of my customers know that I'm the manager/owner. I'd also like to think that my shop is a little more upscale than the average shop. My question is: how do you present yourself to your customers? Do you dress a little nicer than the rest of the employees? Do you outright say that you are the owner/manager? I don't want to come off as overly 'managerial'. THNX! :coffee:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello chirmflask,

I'm guessing that you work behind the counter, along with your employees. You said that your coffee shop is a bit more upscale than the average shop. Do your employees have a uniform that you provide them or a certain dress code (they all wear the same color shirts, aprons, etc.) ?? When the employees are allowed to wear whatever they want, it looks like they just walked off the street and started working behind the counter. That's not very "upscale."

If you do have a dress code, you may want to wear a different color shirt or a different color apron. It will help set you apart from the employees and make it obvious that you're the person who is in charge. (both to the customers and the employees).

Rose

chirmflask

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
They do have a "uniform" it's more of a, nice slacks and maybe a polo or nice blouse. Im thinking of going to http://www.menswearhouse.com/coupons
to get myself some nice slacks? And perhaps also wear a polo. They can wear dark pants, even if it's jean material. But I think wearing slacks might make me look a little more managerial..
THNX so much for your input.

Hello chirmflask,

I'm guessing that you work behind the counter, along with your employees. You said that your coffee shop is a bit more upscale than the average shop. Do your employees have a uniform that you provide them or a certain dress code (they all wear the same color shirts, aprons, etc.) ?? When the employees are allowed to wear whatever they want, it looks like they just walked off the street and started working behind the counter. That's not very "upscale."

If you do have a dress code, you may want to wear a different color shirt or a different color apron. It will help set you apart from the employees and make it obvious that you're the person who is in charge. (both to the customers and the employees).

Rose

chirmflask

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
LOL ill wear a giant name tag that says "HEY ALL: OWNER HERE" Thnx for your input

how about wearing a name badge? saying like... BARISTA : ERIC G. or OWNER : CHIRM F.

no, just kidding :+)

normally, in a cafe or other small retail shops, most of owners do not like to tell customers that he/she is the owner of the shop.
Because something bad happens, they always want to say that "oh, let me check with the manager or owner and get back to you". They do not want the complains from customers or liable for something...etc

However, if you are really proud of your shop, service, cafe, food...etc, and it is good there, I would love to meet the owners of the shop and say "thank you".

but if I were one, I would not wear something nicer than other employees. probably wear same uniform or similar style of clothing.
also, I would not outright say that I am the owner of the place. that would be kind of ...mmm... I do not know.. you think about it.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
They do have a "uniform" it's more of a, nice slacks and maybe a polo or nice blouse. Im thinking of going to http://www.menswearhouse.com/coupons
to get myself some nice slacks? And perhaps also wear a polo. They can wear dark pants, even if it's jean material. But I think wearing slacks might make me look a little more managerial..
THNX so much for your input.

I think most people tend to pay more attention to the "top of you" in not as much attention to the "bottom of you." Since you're planning to wear nice slacks, you should wear nice shirts, too. Do your employees wear aprons? Some managers don't wear an apron, and they seem to stand out from the employees that way. But, I don't think you'd want to get coffee on your nice clothes. Those stains are hard to remove.

Have a managerial presence in everything you do. Walk around and say hello to the customers. Walk through the cafe and nod and smile at each one of them. Ask them how they like their drinks, etc. Be friendly and supportive of your staff as they're working. People really do watch and notice these things.

Rose

Cappie

Jul 28, 2017
The Great WS
Visit site
Honestly... make better drinks, and have presence. Customers will know. Never hide from your position, own it. [emoji16]

This is it.
In my day job, the rank and file wear blue shirts and the managers were a white shirt. There is no doubt who is in charge. The public knows whom to approach with an issue or problem.

Colombia

Aug 30, 2017
Bogota Colombia
Visit site
I second what was said earlier in that I don't see why an owner would want to stand out particularly. Surely customers should be able to approach any member of staff to resolve a problem knowing that they will either take care of it themselves or pass it up the line to whoever needs to deal with it. If the establishment is up market as described then this should really be the case.