Small Green Coffee Offerings

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Hi all,

I was interested in knowing how many coffee shops, roasters, or persons typically buy smaller amounts of green coffee? 20, 30, or 50 pounds of green coffee at any one time, rather then buy 69/70kg bags and having to worry about pallets/shipping etc?

I wanted to see the general consensus from this community specifically.

Thank you in advance.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
I guess that if you have a roasting company, you really need to buy one bag (69kgs) or more every time.
however, if you have a coffee shop that has a small roaster for their own use, probably still have to buy one bag or more for general most selling drinks (espresso based), but if you are also offering something special, like Gesha, Pacamara..etc, then, they might be buying less q'ty due to slow sales.

We are finding that it also appeals to busy shops that want variation, especially if its stored in a grainpro and such. The majority of roaster/cafes have a 10/12kg roaster, what better way then to be able to open the box dump it into the hopper and roast to your profile?

It seems like theres a ton more demand then one would think in this market.

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I'd love to be able to buy in let say 50 pounds bag instead of my regular 154 pounds bag. Mostly because i am a very small roaster and this would help me have more variety with a better turnover but also to try more expensive microlot for example. A program like the Crown Jewels, La Bodega or what Coffee Shrub have to offer is really interesting for small roasters like me but AFAIK there is no such offer here in Canada and the shipping/brokerage is too high to import small qty. So yes i clearly see an opportunity for this but would love to see it available at an acceptable pricing in my country.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
I'd love to be able to buy in let say 50 pounds bag instead of my regular 154 pounds bag. Mostly because i am a very small roaster and this would help me have more variety with a better turnover but also to try more expensive microlot for example. A program like the Crown Jewels, La Bodega or what Coffee Shrub have to offer is really interesting for small roasters like me but AFAIK there is no such offer here in Canada and the shipping/brokerage is too high to import small qty. So yes i clearly see an opportunity for this but would love to see it available at an acceptable pricing in my country.

Agreed, Canada is a bit tough for all of our US companies due to what you stated. I will try and see how hard the hurdles are to get into the Canada market with this type of offering BUT from what we saw briefly it wasn't easy or cost effective for both parties.

Thank you for your response and your outlook is exactly what we have been hearing from potential customers.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I currently buy both sizes... its primarily based on the volume of sales for that coffee. I personally feel GO has the perfect solution with their half sack boxes. Not only is the size right for some applications the box format is ideal. Easy to stack on pallets, light enough to move around easily.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
The problem is why you buy smaller amounts it cost you more money per pound. My roastery is tiny. I can only store a 100 bags at a time. I wish I had more room...hopefully a bigger place is on the horizon.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Correct, the price is always more per lb with smaller quantities BUT in return for the price you get ease of shipping, stackabilty, and in some cases grain pro stored green. The market feedback has been positive and its a great way to supplement current green procurement.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I wasn't knocking your business model ...just pointing out the price difference. Then again these smaller roasters are selling coffee at $18 to $30 a lb. So I guess it works out. ;)

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
I wasn't knocking your business model ...just pointing out the price difference. Then again these smaller roasters are selling coffee at $18 to $30 a lb. So I guess it works out. ;)

No knock taken, definitely a price difference. Happy Holidays and hopefully you get that bigger space sooner then later!

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Well, the reason is simple. You need the sales volume to justify buying in bulk. Otherwise it won't be cost effective at the end.... In my specific case i am starting up (2yrs) and if i want to offer variety to my customers there is no other way then to try to buy in smaller qty even if the cost per pound of green is higher. Still, i am offering my coffee at a very affordable price per pound and my sales are increasing but it is difficult in a competitive market, it takes time. But for sure, once the sales volume are up to it i will buy all my coffee by full pallets at a time.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Well, the reason is simple. You need the sales volume to justify buying in bulk. Otherwise it won't be cost effective at the end.... In my specific case i am starting up (2yrs) and if i want to offer variety to my customers there is no other way then to try to buy in smaller qty even if the cost per pound of green is higher. Still, i am offering my coffee at a very affordable price per pound and my sales are increasing but it is difficult in a competitive market, it takes time. But for sure, once the sales volume are up to it i will buy all my coffee by full pallets at a time.

This is exactly what we are seeing. I did some legwork on your Canada request and I think there is some promise behind it. Once we go live I will be able to tell with certainty.