Where to start learning about coffee exporting

sumGuy

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about exporting coffee from Rwanda to the U.S. (or exporting in to the U.S. in general)? If I had 2000 - 4000 lbs of coffee what is the best way to get it to the US? Does anyone know the details of getting an export license? Are there exporters that will do it for a fee? Any information would be helpful! The internet seems to contain a little too much and I'm just trying to find a place to start. Thanks!

sumGuy

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
if you only have 2K to 4K lbs of coffee, the BEST way to get them to US is to sell them to either US buyer looking for Rwanda coffee or sell to Rwanda coffee coop or exporters. the q'ty of coffee is way too small to go thru the hassle of getting the export license.

to answer your question about "are there exporters that will do it for a fee"? yes, they will ONLY WHEN they have customers who are willing to buy your coffee. I do not know about Rwanda, but in Guatemala, the fee is $8.00 per 100 lbs of "parchment" coffee (we call it one quintal in Guatemala).

good luck to you.

Thanks for your response. I was hoping to find a solution where I can have the coffee shipped w/o selling it to anyone. In other words pay someone to ship my coffee to the U.S. where I can distribute it to people who are specifically expecting coffee from this particular farm. I know it's a weird case, but I was hoping there was someone who could just handle the shipping for a fee. If there are exporters that do this, do you know the names of any or know of where I could find them?

jdcherry

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
Perfect. Contacting him now. Thank you!

If that doesn't work send me a pm and I can make a recommendation, we do exactly what you have done. Paying an importer to bring in coffee specifically from the family farm. Not sure if they can do it from Rwanda or not though. Good luck!

John

Jkjv

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi John
I am also in need for shipping and buyers for Colombian coffee. If you can assist me within matinee appreciate it greatly.