Going to start a coffee roaster business. Which roaster and air filter shall I use ?

Alison21

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a small plan for setting up a coffee roaster business in Ontario. But I'm totally confused. If I had no customers initially, what size roaster would I invest in? Will a brand new 5kg roaster for $17K will be enough, or should I purchase a 1kg roaster for $5K ?

And also, what about air filters? I heard about an industrial filter manufacturer. Do you know more about them? Which air filter should I choose? Are they offering any guarantee for their filtration equipment? Are they cost-effective?

What all are the important facilities that I need to establish before starting the business? What should I do to increase my popularity among other coffee traders in my area?

Please let me know your suggestions for improving my business. Expecting your replies soon. Thanks in advance.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Do you have any experience in roasting coffee, or coffee in any way? I would consider hiring a consultant or attend the upcoming SCA show in Seattle. Specialty Coffee Expo it's kind of short notice but you would find all the answers you were looking for there. As for pollution control I have spoken to these guys and plan on using them when I expand. www.air-quality-eng.com

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
A 1kg roaster is too small for any commercial sales. But if you have not roasted coffee before, you may want to buy a 500g roaster to learn on, roast for a while for yourself and friends and see if you like it and want to go further. Then i would recommend a 5kg or so to start building some business. You can buy used too. Visit your local roasters, a lot of good ones in Ontario.

Sheena_Lance

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I agree on this, try to have a small grams and give a free taste to ask for opinions and feedback before you get started with your plan.

A 1kg roaster is too small for any commercial sales. But if you have not roasted coffee before, you may want to buy a 500g roaster to learn on, roast for a while for yourself and friends and see if you like it and want to go further. Then i would recommend a 5kg or so to start building some business. You can buy used too. Visit your local roasters, a lot of good ones in Ontario.

Alison21

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Hi Topher

No, I don't have any experience in coffee roasting. I'm just planning to start one. The air filter provider you mentioned; are they providing services in Ontario?

And unfortunately, I had some registration issues with the site you suggested ( Specialty Coffee Expo ).

Is it possible to ask questions there without registering?

Last edited:

Alison21

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Hi Seb,

Thanks for your suggestion. So, I should buy a 500g roaster now. Yeah, that's quite cool to experiment with that. So, can you please suggest a good local roaster store which you feels to be good? Awaiting your reply.

Last edited:

Alison21

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
I highly recommend watching this video by the owner of Mill City Roasters.

https://millcityroasters.com/video/dont-get-burned-by-bad-coffee-roaster-advice/

I am starting up in the next few weeks, and am awaiting the arrival of a 1K roaster. I plan to upgrade to a 5K when two conditions are met: 1) roasting more than 100 pounds per week and 2) have enough cash to buy new roaster without incurring debt.

From where did you order that 1 Kg roaster? How much does it cost?

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site