Single Origin Coffee in Florida

Hello folks,

I live in Saint Petersburg and I want to get into all the different types of single origin coffee including Jamaica blue mountain. What is the best place to get the best quality coffee in the Saint Petersburg Pinellas county area?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I hit up a few coffee roasters when I was in St Pete a month ago. Coffee Lab was pretty cool, Buddy Brew in Tampa(on Kennedy) is aces...In St Pete, Kahwa(475 2nd st) was ok and no name java at 667 central was cool...didnt' have time to check out black crow but if you do let me know its at 722 2nd st N. Hope this helps.

I hit up a few coffee roasters when I was in St Pete a month ago. Coffee Lab was pretty cool, Buddy Brew in Tampa(on Kennedy) is aces...In St Pete, Kahwa(475 2nd st) was ok and no name java at 667 central was cool...didnt' have time to check out black crow but if you do let me know its at 722 2nd st N. Hope this helps.

I got to black crow all the time. They have pretty good coffee. The espresso is weird to me as it taste fruity to me which I don't like. I like that traditional burnt marshmallow taste that Italian espresso is known for.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
You really think so?

I'm not sure if you're thinking about opening a café or if you're thinking of opening up a coffee roasting business.

I believe that many of the members of this Coffee Forum would recommend that you work in a coffee shop first, so you can determine whether or not it's for you. You may be surprised to discover how much work is involved in owning your own shop. Plus, you're going to need to invest some time into learning about the world of coffee. There is soooooo much to learn.

Mr.GreenBean

Mar 5, 2018
CT
Visit site
I'd say work at one first. Then get a hold of a Dunn & Bradstreet first research report on coffee shops since that is what the bank will use to determine your eligibility for funding. Here is the first paragraph of the 13 page report under the paragraph heading of "competitive landscape". First mention is "prime location", and prime locations have very high rent. Then download a 12 month financial plan on excel and see what it would take to make the numbers work.
Consumer taste and personal income drive demand. The profitability of individual companies depends on the ability to secure prime locations, drive store traffic, and deliver high-quality products. Large companies have advantages in purchasing, finance, and marketing. mall companies can compete effectively by offering specialized products, serving a local market, or providing superior customer service.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You can do all the research you want..but if you do not actually get in there and do the work you really are going to have a hard go at it. I have been to places where they just opened with out actually having experience and it shows. I actually have a client that had no experience at all. They are at the mercy of the experienced baristas they hired.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I 100% completely agree with topher... I did a six month stint as a barista before opening my roasting business (after years of home roasting) and I can't imagine doing it without that experience.

bobby1987

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Hello folks,

I live in Saint Petersburg and I want to get into all the different types of single origin coffee including Jamaica blue mountain. What is the best place to get the best quality coffee in the Saint Petersburg Pinellas county area?
[FONT=&quot]Smoothie King is the best place to get the best quality coffee saint petersburg[/FONT]