Freeze Dried Coffee + Glaze

ordobey

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if its possible to coat freeze-dried coffee in a liquid substance and have it maintain its form?

Ideally it would be glazed so that it acts the same as normal freeze-dried copy upon consumption: once mixed with hot water everything turns to liquid together.

Is this something that has been done before and is it difficult to do?

Apologies for the novice question, and thanks in advance!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm wondering why anyone would want to do that? Is the goal to maintain some sort of shape for the freeze dried coffee (square, rectangle, etc.) for packaging?

Freeze dried coffee is far from being one of the best coffee options that are available. I imagine that a liquid-substance glazing would alter the taste of the coffee when it's mixed with the hot water and only make it taste worse.

Rose

ordobey

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Hey PinkRose thanks for the reply.

So the goal would be to add a supplement to the coffee, instead of adding the supplement after you've brewed the coffee it would already be there when you add water as the freeze fried coffee is coated in it.

The supplement would be flavourless and so in theory shouldn't change the flavour.

Actually the only reason I chose freeze-dried is because as far as im aware its the highest quality kind of instant coffee (correct me if im wrong!), and has a surface area that may be easier to coat.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Why not coat whole bean coffee? Barnies coffee and Tea used to coat their santas white Christmas coffee with titanium dioxide. Turns out it wont hurt you to drink but breathing it is. So I assumed they have stopped. There is a company down the road from me that infuses supplements in their coffee(not instant) Just a thought.
Barnies SWC Beans.JPG

ordobey

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Hmm that's interesting - do you know the name of the company?

Or anything about their infusion process?

The only reason not to coat the whole bean is just for accessibility at least in the early stages of the product - more people can try instant than whole bean.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
it doesn't have to be whole bean..whole bean can be ground. Not sure where you are located but if you are in Europe instant is used a lot more than the states. I know a company that makes "flavors" to add to coffee. The flavor doesn't have to be a flavor...it can be things such as Horny Goat weed. I use that in my Morning Wood coffee. It is basically horny goat weed and propylene glycol. It is used as a transference in flavorings. It is also found in flavorings like vanilla and almond extracts used in baking and some food coloring. It is safe to consume.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
propylene glycol ? isn't that window washer fluid ?

There are all sorts of machinations of instant coffee in the market place. 2 in 1, 3 in 1 instant packets. formed coffee..........you just gotta look

Gibsongi

Nov 9, 2020
England Coventry
Visit site
It's not really a good idea. Coffee loses the properties, doesn't matter if it's liquid, beans, dried, whatever. You can write on Google if can you freeze it but you won't get any information. I got just if I can freeze espresso, surprisingly I can but the taste will be bitter than you may think about. Although, there are some tips on how you can freeze an espresso shot to get a good espresso in the end. Sincerely, I don't know what do I need it for. Do you guys have some ideas? I like a hot espresso in the morning, it's instant and easy to prepare.

Last edited: