Establishing Coffee Processing Factory - Plant in Egypt

zahaby

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
Dear Members,

I am very happy that I found this great forum, as I am planning to open a coffee-processing factory here in Egypt.

We are planning to open a small one at the beginning:

• Machines:
    • Roaster 30 Kilo Toper TX-30 with computer ($22k)
    • Destoner ($6500)
    • Grinder Toper Stone Miller TD-50 ($6200) FOR TURKISH
    • Local made Stone Miller (Stone 14) ($1500) FOR ESPRESOO

Current Factory Dimension
200 m2 X 4.5 m

We are planning to process espresso based on Wet Djimmah coffee from Ethiopia.
Also we are planning to process Turkish Coffee based on Indonesian + Colombian Blend.

I would like to know:
Do we need to buy the following :
1) Destoner
2) Moisture and Density Checker
3) Weighting Machine
4) Roasting Level Checker
5) Silos
Or any other machines ?

Also is the factory dimensions fine ( 200 m2 X 4.5 m ) ?

Do you recommend me anything ?

Thanks very much.

Fox

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
Good idea and good project. Moisture tester is important to qualify your green beans and to determine the good suppliers.
You select good brand toper and I recommend you focus on
specifications of your roaster and grinders especially for turkish grinder it need some standards I can tell you later in details in mail later . Another advice is select trained roaster .

BescaRoasting

Oct 14, 2018
Michigan
Visit site
I would definitely reccomend a destoner. I do a lot of work in large factories, and when you start roasting in quantity, you notice how many stones and bits of metal come out of the coffee. Of course, buying good coffee can help cut that down, but a destoner can save your grinders a LOT of unnecessary wear and tear. A roast color checking device such as an agtron is really nice to have, they help maintain consistency, which is very important. With a 30 kilo roaster, you probably won't need silos immediately, but you will want somewhere to store your coffee while it is waiting to be packaged. A weighing machine would be another very good machine to have. Depending on your roast time, you could be roasting up to 150 kilos of coffee per hour. It takes a lot of manpower to weigh and package that much coffee by hand, especially with small bags. In 5 pound bags, it's not as big of an issue. You will also need a heat sealer to seal your bags with, and a scale to weigh individual bags. Nitrogen packaging is another piece of the puzzle to consider. Nitrogen packaging is not 100% necessary, but it improves the shelf life and quality of your product over the long term.
Does any of your machinery require compressed air? If so, you will want to think about getting a commercial air compressor that can handle a larger volume than you expect to use.
Since you are buying a toper with a computer, you should look into installing an uninterruptable power supply so that in event of a power failure, you have the ability to at least safely shut your roaster down.
Let me know if you have any questions, I have built several small to medium sized coffee factories from the ground up, and I am more than happy to help where I can.

Last edited:

zahaby

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
@BescaRoasting

Thanks very much, I am wondering if you provide paid-consultation service ? and can you visit Egypt ?

Best Regards.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I roast on a 60 kilo Ambex and do not use a de stoner. In the past I used a 120 kilo, and never used the de stoner. I bought only specialty grade coffee so never had any issues....and back then we were knocking out 100k lbs a month.

Last edited:

zahaby

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi @BescaRoasting and @Topher

Do you think having a blending machine is necessary ?
Also what is the difference between blending machine, and coffee mixer machine ?

Best Regards.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
why do you need a mixer if you are not doing flavored coffee? All my blends are are roasted as a blend. I do not mix coffee post blend.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You do not need a mixer unless you are doing flavored coffee. I roast all of my coffees pre blended. I do not post blend my coffee. If you do at some point need to post blend a blend then use the cooling bin from the roaster.

zahaby

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
@topher
Thanks very much.

But I have couple of questions
1) how can you handle different roasting profiles for different green-beans in the same pre-blended batch ?
how can you handle the consistency and avoid over/under roasting for some beans ?

2) another questions does the batch-size (5 kilo , 10 , 30 etc) affect the roast-profile ?
does the roast-profile results will be different if I roast 10 or 30 kilos ? is the weight a factor in the roasting-profile ?

Thanks very much :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
1) how can you handle different roasting profiles for different green-beans in the same pre-blended batch ?
how can you handle the consistency and avoid over/under roasting for some beans ?

2) another questions does the batch-size (5 kilo , 10 , 30 etc) affect the roast-profile ?
does the roast-profile results will be different if I roast 10 or 30 kilos ? is the weight a factor in the roasting-profile ?
Here are two different blends. Each one has 3 different origins in them. Granted I am not blending say Monsoon Malabar with a Costa Rican because it would come out like salt and pepper. Another thing is with experience comes consistency. ;)
20181026_061157.jpg20181026_062225.jpg
Batch size or roaster size? I can roast down to about 15 lbs consistently on my 60 kilo. But roasters size from 5 to 60 isn't really different....I just know that once you get into 120's and bigger you lose the control that you have in smaller roasters. Hope this helped.