Comments Please: Questions About Trends in Your Shop

I didn't know how to title this so here are my questions for you today.

1. Are there people who come into your shop who just want to buy a standard auto brewed cup of coffee like they would make at home?

2. Do you see people coming in and ordering non-conventional coffee drinks? Do people want pour over, cold brew, coffee drinks using single origin beans?

3. Are there any non coffee drinks that seem to be a hit in your shop?

4. This may be similar to question one. Do you see a lot of people order an espresso rather than an espresso type drink?

5. Do you serve nitro brew coffee?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
# 1 - The majority of people ask for brewed coffee.

#2 - In recent weeks, several people have asked for a strong Americano, instead of an espresso or espresso based drink. A new trend starting perhaps?

#3 - Non-coffee drinks such as iced tea and lemonade are popular during the summer. Hot chocolate during the winter.

#4 - Espresso based beverages seem to be more popular than a plain straight-up shot of espresso.

#5 - No nitro brew coffee

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why someone would want an Americano as it's coffee mixed with water.

Actually, it's espresso mixed with water, ideally to the same strength as drip coffee. The difference is, since it's made with espresso, there is a greater % of non-dissolved solids and oils in the brew giving it a richer mouthfeel than filtered coffee.

Also, a 10oz Americano is made with about a 15g espresso dose. To get a filtered brew to the same perceived strength, you need 19g of coffee. So an Americano gives you more coffee flavor with less caffeine.

Actually, it's espresso mixed with water, ideally to the same strength as drip coffee. The difference is, since it's made with espresso, there is a greater % of non-dissolved solids and oils in the brew giving it a richer mouthfeel than filtered coffee.

Also, a 10oz Americano is made with about a 15g espresso dose. To get a filtered brew to the same perceived strength, you need 19g of coffee. So an Americano gives you more coffee flavor with less caffeine.

Wow! I need to start ordering that more often.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
1. Rarely.
2. Yes, every day.
3. Yes. My wife is Taiwanese, so we also do traditional Bubble Tea, and it's like you'd get in Taiwan.
4. Quite a few. The percentage gone up every year. Our trend tends to be "smaller and blacker".
5. NO.

I didn't know how to title this so here are my questions for you today.

1. Are there people who come into your shop who just want to buy a standard auto brewed cup of coffee like they would make at home?

2. Do you see people coming in and ordering non-conventional coffee drinks? Do people want pour over, cold brew, coffee drinks using single origin beans?

3. Are there any non coffee drinks that seem to be a hit in your shop?

4. This may be similar to question one. Do you see a lot of people order an espresso rather than an espresso type drink?

5. Do you serve nitro brew coffee?

Alicia

Sep 7, 2018
Visit site
This is not for my shop, but for the stand I worked at earlier in the year...
1. Brewed coffee was not offered, only espresso
2. Not sure what you'd consider unconventional, but espresso based drinks are very customizable.
3. Flavored redbull drinks are the number 2 sellers.
4. Only had one customer in my years of being a barista that ordered a shot instead of an actual drink.
5. No.

wiferichie

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Shops I've worked at
1. yes, no, sometimes
2. no (more often than the other 2 shops), no, no
3. Yes, yes, yes
4. yes, yes, yes
5. no, no, no

My shop isn't open yet, so this is what I'm anticipating based on our largest customer base...
1. Yes
2. Not at first, but I think it will grow.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes, we are most likely serving nitro cold brew.