Keeping up with Simple Syrup demand

border_bean

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi
Owner of a small coffee shop. We make a few simple syrups homemade but it is getting harder to keep up with demand. We have to make them off site and haul them. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with ways to make them onsite without a heat source? Cold brewing them or something like that?
Or how do other small cafes handle this issue?

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
You can make simple syrup without heat but it appears you may be making flavored SS. If that's the case simply get a countertop range... just keep in mind most of them are 110v so it takes a bit longer to heat things up.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi
Owner of a small coffee shop. We make a few simple syrups homemade but it is getting harder to keep up with demand. We have to make them off site and haul them. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with ways to make them onsite without a heat source? Cold brewing them or something like that?
Or how do other small cafes handle this issue?

Any input appreciated, thanks!

What are you using simple syrup for?
Are you referring to the plain simple syrup that is just a (heated and cooled) mixture of sugar and water, or are you referring to flavored syrups??

Stonewall123

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
we make about a gallon at a time with a small table top cooker... 12x12 so easy to store.. If I make more we have a problem with it crystalizing, any experience with that?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Here is some information that I found on-line that may help you with the crystalizing:

How to prevent crystallization

There are two approaches to preventing crystallization. The first approach is to avoid doing anything that causes crystallization. The other approach is to add something to your recipe that gets in the way of the crystallization reaction. These additives are called interfering agents.

Stray grains of undissolved sugar can start the crystallization reaction, since they are already in the crystalline state and put a lot of peer pressure on the rest of the sugar, since crystallizing is the cool thing to do. You can also trigger crystallization by shocking the mixture – too much stirring or even a cold utensil can trigger the crystallization reaction.

To prevent crystallization, use the following techniques:

•Wash down the sides of your pan with a wet pastry brush. Once the sugar has dissolved, take a wet pastry brush and brush down the sides of your pan with water. Make sure that there are no undissolved grains of sugar that stick to the side of the pan, since their presence can trigger crystallization. (Some people keep the lid on the boiling mixture so that the steam trickles down the side and does the same thing.)
•Avoid stirring the mixture. You’ll need to stir the mixture while the sugar dissolves, but try to avoid stirring after that. If you need to mix your ingredients around, try swirling the pan instead.
•Warm spoons and candy thermometers before inserting them in to the mixture. Cold utensils can shock the mixture into crystallization, so warm them up before you insert them. You might want to consider using a laser candy thermometer, which does not need to be inserted into the liquid at all.

To combat crystallization, use an interfering agent:

•Corn syrup contains sugars that discourage crystallization. (Note that the corn syrup you buy in the grocery store is not the same thing as the controversial high-fructose corn syrup food additive).
•Cream of tartar and lemon juice are acids that help block the crystallization reaction.
•Other ingredients in the recipe may also interfere with crystallization, for example milk and cream.

To fix sugar that has crystallized:

You can fix crystallized sugar by remelting the sugar crystals and trying again. You may want to add an interfering agent, and of course you want to be careful not to trigger the crystallization reaction. This is easy for crystallized liquids – simply reheat the crystallized syrup and try again.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I do a 1:1 when I make SS I use the hot water from our water boiler and just stir until dissolved. Takes less than 3 minutes, Place in fridge. never had it crystalize.
JMO

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
would you know the ratio?

I typically just put in a spoonful when making a SS with 2-3 cups of sugar. And a lot of times Im making infused SS so I tend to boil the sugar water a bit... the more you boil the thicker it gets. If your using SS for sweeting hot coffee and not infusing do what Charlie suggested and keep it simple! (how about that pun!)

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Pun?
all my flavored syrups I make start out with my SS recipe. I also do not use white sugar. Monk Fruit, Raw Suar and Brown sugar. Sometimes Palm sugar

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Some are fresh spices as in my Pumpkin spice, Natural extracts that are used in Ice Cream for some from Green Mountain Flavors. All start with a SS base.
depends on the flavor. I really do not use to many flavors. I do use a two fold Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla extract in most
My previous post might be misread I use granulated Monk fruit, Brown sugar, Raw Sugar and Palm Sugar in my SS

Last edited: